No. of Recommendations: 0
Can you get a lower rate from Gold American Express card
Print the post Back To Top
Can you get a lower rate from Gold American Express card

It has always been my impression that American Express didn't have rates. Either you paid off the whole thing every month, or you found a couple of guys named Vinnie at your front door.

Does anyone have other information about this?

Nancy
Amex will hit you with interest if you fall behind for 30-90 days. It's never low, and it's not negotiable (as far as I know). After that, the knee-breakers will show up.
They do allow certain purchases to be placed on their Sign & Travel program. This rate is astronomically high. I had a Gold Card, and the APR for S&T charges was in the high 20's. Unfortunately, I was not wise to the game when I was using this, and I never bothered to see if they would lower the rate.
I got into trouble with them by carrying too much on my S & T plan, and ended up with a cancelled card and a bunch of disbarred lawyers harassing me every 2 minutes on my phone.(Luckily, I tuned in to The Fool before things got too horrible). I don't know of any other Amex rates, so if you have a particular question about something not addressed here, post it.
I also used S&T account few times, but interest rate was around 15.00%. However, I did not pay a dime on interest. I transfered around $ 700.00 to the account twice (different billing period) and paid off following billing period and they did not charge me any interest for that.

J.
I still carry Gold card since its comes free with my AMEX brokerage account but never use it because its Rewards program cost $40 a year and I do not have enough purchases to justify that when I can better rabates from other cards.
**Can you get a lower rate from Gold American Express card **

Lower Rate? not sure what you mean..this is a card to be paid off each month.a charge card, not a credit card. Amex does have several revolving type cards, Optima and Blue, I believe.

TriChick