Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Ammo is suited for hoarding, if stored properly it can last for 50 years or more. Reloading components might be good for even longer
https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/old-ammo-will-it-stil......

FWIW, I still have 3 boxes of Winchester match pistol .22 long rifle ammo from a brick that I bought in late 1967 and a couple boxes of Federal long rifle that went up and down the ALCAN Highway in the late 60s/early 70s 5 or 4 times. I want to take them out to the range and fire them using a chronograph to see if they had deteriorated over time. It would have to be a perfect sunny day with little or no wind and few other shooters, probably on a Friday afternoon.
;-)

I would also caution y’all about storing reloaded pistol ammo for long periods of time. I found that .44 reloads that are older than about 15 or 12 years tend to split the cases when fired. It isn’t a major problem with a revolver but in a semi-auto pistol it can cause damage to both the pistol and/or shooter. I try to shoot up my 9mm and .45 auto reloads before they are 8 or 9 years old. I recently fired 50 rounds of 25-06 cartridges that I had loaded about 30 years ago using cases that I had resized from once fired 30-06 cases. About 60 percent of the fired cases had cracked necks - not a great danger but I dumped the rest of the fired cases and removed the bullets from some old .44 ammo and will dump the cases & burn the powder.

C.J.V. - still have some primers from the late 60s that I’ll have to dispose of, me
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.