Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
"The National Shooting Sports Foundation reported a massive influx of new gun owners in 2020 totaling 6.2 million. New shooters purchasing guns and ammunition caused a significant drop in supply. "

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/ammo-shortage-continues-summe...

"In the U.S., there are only five major manufacturers of ammunition (Winchester, Remington, Hornady, Federal, and CCI). Even under perfect circumstances, there’s only so much they can produce at once, and needless to say, circumstances have not been perfect during the pandemic. Employees throughout the supply chain have been getting sick, missing work to take care of their kids, and self-quarantining. This has caused a lull in manufacturing throughout 2020.

After the 2016 run on ammunition, we seen many small manufacturers close their doors due to the slim demand for ammunition in 2017, 2018 and 2019. This created even tighter supply constraints and inherently created the environment for a perfect storm."

https://www.ammofast.com/why-is-there-an-ammo-shortage/

I've read that under normal circumstances there is a years worth of shortage! Primers are the biggest issues and only 2 American companies make them. I think it will be at least 2 years before things start to change. We shall see.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I've read that under normal circumstances there is a years worth of shortage!

WHEN I can find ammo, it is about 5 times what it used to cost. Hard to get excited about going to the range when your stockpile is getting smaller.

JLC
Hard to get excited about going to the range when your stockpile is getting smaller.

If I don't buy ammo to go to the range, I don't go. Need to keep what I have since we won't be back to normal prices for years.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Why aren't the ammo manufacturers expanding their capacity to meet the demand? Then you can ramp up/down as demand changes over time. The cost to borrow is historically low, which makes it cheaper to borrow for infrastructure expansion, and they must be flush with cash given their high sales volume.
"In the U.S., there are only five major manufacturers of ammunition (Winchester, Remington, Hornady, Federal, and CCI).

------------

True I suppose but there are a lot of foreign manufacturers that produce ammo. I bought some Bosnian 9MM a few years ago that was a good price, had good reviews, and worked fine in my Ruger. My Sig didn't like it as well but the point is you don't have to confine yourself to US manufacturers.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Why aren't the ammo manufacturers expanding their capacity to meet the demand? Then you can ramp up/down as demand changes over time. The cost to borrow is historically low, which makes it cheaper to borrow for infrastructure expansion, and they must be flush with cash given their high sales volume.

I have seen a few videos and read a few letters from manufacturers. They all say they are running at peak capacity. Supply is just massively exceeding demand and the prices reflect that demand. Ammunition is selling for, on average, 3-4 times what it was 1-1/2 years ago.

I recently got an email from Fenix, a company that makes and sells ammo. They advertised three 9mm sales over the past month. 300,000 rounds for sale at each of the 3 sales. They said the entire run sold out in 60 seconds, each sale. I think this present shortage shall pass, but it is a good reminder to keep a couple of years worth of practice ammo on hand.

Rope
My Sig didn't like it as well but the point is you don't have to confine yourself to US manufacturers.

I don't always buy US ammmo, however a lot of surplus ammo from other countries has been banned in the USA, especially for the AKs. Have not had problems with non US ammo, some are definitely a little dirtier to shoot though. The only gun I have that is a little picky about ammo in my Ruger 22 pistol. It pretty much will fire anything but some brands certainly fail to extract, feed poorly at random or do not fire on the first pull.
Why aren't the ammo manufacturers expanding their capacity to meet the demand?

Just like the covid vaccine you cannot do it in days. Parts to assemble the bullets are scarce as well. You'd need to make everything from scratch, then when things calm down you'd probably go out of business not able to recover the massive debt you took on.
Just like the covid vaccine you cannot do it in days. Parts to assemble the bullets are scarce as well. You'd need to make everything from scratch, then when things calm down you'd probably go out of business not able to recover the massive debt you took on.

I think canonian gets to the heart of the matter. I'm sure that the business folks for the manufacturers are evaluating the demand for ammo to determine if this is a temporary blip or if it is going to be a long term plan. If it is just temporary, ramping up new production by building new plants could lead low future prices if demand starts to slack off.

Personally, I've been wanting to replace the scope on my hunting rife but at this time, I don't want to waste my ammo sighting it in.

PSU
still have plenty of .22 from the last shortage
ersonally, I've been wanting to replace the scope on my hunting rife but at this time, I don't want to waste my ammo sighting it in.

With 2 people and if you can bench rest your rifle, or at the very least have it secure you can do it in two shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiOpQY2ORo4
With 2 people and if you can bench rest your rifle, or at the very least have it secure you can do it in two shots.

I know that technique. Personally, I need at a minimum three shots to confirm my rifle is sighted in. From the video you posted, I would shoot a third shot to confirm the second one. The guy was on bag which is what I used. You can still slightly move on them or flinch. I would only trust two shots if I was using something like a Caldwell lead sled.

PSU
Personally, I've been wanting to replace the scope on my hunting rife but at this time, I don't want to waste my ammo sighting it in.

I have been wanting to go to the range and unload some of my excess ammo but between the weather and problems/work around the house, I haven’t gotten out there this year yet. I still have a couple of boxes of .45 ACP that I loaded in 2005 & 2010 that I needs to unload. I found that reloads of pistol ammo that were reloaded over about 20 years have a tendency to split, especially in semi autos.

PSU
still have plenty of .22 from the last shortage

LOL, I have .22 rimfire ammo that I bought in 1967 and 68 still. In 67, I bought a brick of Winchester Match pistol .22 ammo for my Browning Medalist pistol and still have 3 boxes left. I would like to take it out to the range some Friday and shoot it over my chronograph to see how it performs after all this time compared to newer stuff. I also have about half of a brick of Federal .22 that went up and down the ALCAN Highway 4 or 3 times in the late 60s/early 70s. I’d like to chronograph that too.

One advantage of loading my own, besides making more accurate ammo than the factory stuff is I usually have enough powder, primers & bullets on hand that ammo shortages don’t bother me much.
;-)

C.J.V. - still gots about half a case of Garand ammo that I bought at Camp Perry 10 or 8 years ago, me
One advantage of loading my own, besides making more accurate ammo than the factory stuff is I usually have enough powder, primers & bullets on hand that ammo shortages don’t bother me much.

Make sure you have a good supply of primers. For reloaders, it is the item that is in scarce supply.

PSU
“One advantage of loading my own, besides making more accurate ammo than the factory stuff is I usually have enough powder, primers & bullets on hand that ammo shortages don’t bother me much.”

Make sure you have a good supply of primers. For reloaders, it is the item that is in scarce supply.

PSU, I no longer hunt (except them #!!&@$$! Bushy tailed tree rats and armadillos in the garden) and load for maximum accuracy, especially for the rifles. One factor in making accurate ammo is consistency. When I buy primers. I’ll get a box or two of 1000 Federal Match primers with the same lot number. To a certain extent, the same with bullets, cases and powder. I have a number of boxes of old primers made by Winchester, Remington, CCI, etc. in stock that I could use up but not for the best accuracy. They would be fine for hunting but not target shooting.

Recently, I dug out a #1 Ruger in 25-06 that I put together back in the 80s and never developed a good load for. I have 50 rounds I recently loaded for it on my desk waiting to take to the range it see if I can get any accuracy out of it before I sell it.
;-)

C.J.V. - thinks I still gots some CCI primers that I bought in 1968 or 68 in my junk box, me
So go spend $3-$5 and sight that scope [email protected]
So go spend $3-$5 and sight that scope [email protected]

I have two guns I want to scope. There is no issue with the Ruger 10/22 since I have several thousand rounds.

The other gun is my 30-06 that I want to replace my 34 year old scope with a new one. I don't know what it is like in your area but I have not seen 30-06 ammo on the shelf for months. One of the most widely shot cartridges and none to find. I only got about 1.5 boxes on hand.

PSU
I don't know what it is like in your area but I have not seen 30-06 ammo on the shelf for months.

I never bought ammo locally, perhaps from time to time but rarely.
We took a road trip last summer and all over TN and NC shelves were bare except for some rare calibers. Locally the shelves are bare.

Online 30-06 is $2-$3 a round for the most part.
https://www.wikiarms.com/group/30-06

Not affordable for an hour or two at the range, however to sight in and fire off a few shots some Lake City 30-06 in the link above for $1.92 a round might be worth it. $115 in ammo for 60 rounds or even double that a couple of times a year would not be too terrible.

It's a shame that two of my favorite hobbies which are ruled by politcal BS cannot be enjoyed much today. Shooting at the range and astronomy. Funny thing is with astronomy and the environment you'd think that wasting energy to light up the sky would be illegal.. ugh.
Online 30-06 is $2-$3 a round for the most part.
https://www.wikiarms.com/group/30-06

Let's not forget the cost of shipping. Also I think this shortage is temporary. Maybe by next year, it will be available in store for $20. Even 22lr is outrageous. I see private sales going for $100 for a brick. I'm sitting on a fortune.

PSU
Let's not forget the cost of shipping. Also I think this shortage is temporary. Maybe by next year, it will be available in store for $20. Even 22lr is outrageous. I see private sales going for $100 for a brick. I'm sitting on a fortune.

I agree my ammo has outperformed the market with the exception of a few outliers :) I never expected increases of this magnitude but certainly some spikes over the years. Maybe I should consider another safe to store the bulk of my ammo in.

Luckily I have enough just in case of the common calibers however I do have an excessive amount of .22lr just for crazy times like this so I can go to the range and shoot that without running out for quite some time.