Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Maybe it's just the unlikely reappearance of Rocky Balboa to the silver screen this month, after all these years. (Thirty years later, by the way! Wow.) Maybe that's how the voices started. But the sound in my ears as I click into my own My CAPS page this morning is that same clangorous chant: "Rock-EEE! Rock-EEE!"

Why?

Take a look at my player graph, now restored to prominence once again in the most recent CAPS software release to its rightful state "above the fold," presented with can't-miss visibility.

Just take a look at how far down I went this summer.

My Score reached -400. I believe my Player Rating, if I wasn't the lowest-rated player of all, was actually second lowest at one point (my recollection is that m'man TMFBomb was the 0.25-rated player and I was the 0.50-rated player -- something like that). I, the guy who had come up with CAPS in the first place, the guy who had then racked up a score of 900 on the alpha CAPS version we'd been testing internally from late 2004 throughout 2005 -- data that we had to fully wipe to launch CAPS beta fresh earlier this year -- I, also one of the guys who picks stocks professionally for two of our services, and that a lot of people depend on -- I was getting crushed.

This summer was not good for growth-stock investors, and that is an understatement. My ship sank fast and hard from April into August.

And yet, as I write, my player rating is now 94.51. My Score is around 200 and my Accuracy has for the moment crested 56%.

Why am I noting these things here, beyond just featuring the "Balboa Inside"? I'm here to encourage any and all CAPS participants -- in particular new ones who've nosedived out of the gate or who have Scores near -200 -- that not only can you ABSOLUTELY dig yourself back to even through hard work and some patience, but darn it, you can come back way past even -- you can get there to the echelons of All Star (80+) and above. And even if you're just hearing ("Rock-EEE!") voices in your head, even if you're as pathetic and delusional and lonely in your self-celebration as I am, you can and should at least appreciate that those voices are cheering, not booing, YOU. Fool on! --David

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.