Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This will be an ugly year for taxes - our consulting business did well, and we are selling rental property and land held for investment. I´ve done my best to estimate our tax burden (yes, I´ll check all this with our tax advisor) but I´m worried about the AMT. One way I could increase our meager deductions is by prepaying state taxes but the AMT rules might disallow that.

Here are my questions:
1. Which tax software will handle these issues best? I´d like to play around with what-ifs before prepaying state taxes.
2. If I do prepay state taxes, and the deduction is disallowed, will I be able to roll the deduction forward to next year when our income will be very low?

Thanks in advance, I know there are some very knowledgeable people on this board.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.