Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
Something on tonight's NBC coverage struck me as quite amusing and with the discussion of NBC's coverage here, I thought I'd mention it in case anyone missed it.

Anyways, right before the men's 100m final, Bob Costas says something like "We now bring you uninterrupted coverage of the men's 100 meter finals."

Well. I'm so glad NBC managed (through great effort I imagine) to rearrange their schedule so that they could present uninterruped coverage of *a 10 second event*!

Ok, maybe it was just me...

Brian
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
My husband said the exact same thing! He was like, did Bob Costas just say they were going to bring us uninterruped coverage of the 100?

That was oh so nice of them, you know how they like to chop things up though, they could have shown us the beginning half and then the second half. Each half being 5 seconds of course. Oh, plus they'd have that bottom right hand graphic with everyone frozen in place with "Men's 100m in 25 minutes".

=) Megan
it's not just Brian!
Ok, maybe it was just me...

Nope, I thought the same thing myself.

But I don't think that they showed the replay as many times as they did for the women's race.

David
Well. I'm so glad NBC managed (through great effort I imagine) to rearrange their schedule so that they could present uninterruped coverage of *a 10 second event*!

They also managed to present uninterruped coverage of the men's triple jump. Of course, they only bothered to show the 3 medalists, and a total of 5 attempts, and to throw in a comment about how unusual the event is.

This is why I wish track had been on CNBC or MSNBC. I might have actually gotten to watch the Most Important Olympic Event in its entirety. Instead, I only got 5 jumps worth of it.

Alas, the plight of the triple jumper!

--WP, "just because it's the goofiest looking event in track and field doesn't mean it isn't worth watching"
They also managed to present uninterruped coverage of the men's triple jump.

What's the triple jump?

--WP, "just because it's the goofiest looking event in track and field doesn't mean it isn't worth watching"

Is it really any goofier looking that twanging yourself off a stick?

;-)

David
What's the triple jump?

The greatest event in all of Track and Field.

--WP, unbiased ex-triple jumper
The greatest event in all of Track and Field.

--WP, unbiased ex-triple jumper

Oh no bias there! <g>

I was wishing they had shown more of the high jump last night. the greatest track and field event? Hmmmmm....I'm partial to the marathon.

Charlie
...can't run 26 miles, but imagines it...
Is it really any goofier looking that twanging yourself off a stick?

The vault is cool. Way cool. Like, "strut around practice and inspire awe because you can do it" cool.

Nearly every event, anyone else on the team looks at and says "I can do it." Maybe not well, maybe not fast, but could physically do the event. Everyone can run, everyone can throw, everyone can even do some of the simpler jump events.

There's two exceptions to this. One is the vault. Even people who have done track for years tend to look at it and say "how the hell do you manage to do that?"

The other is the triple jump. In this case, even people who have been around track for years look at you and wonder--but in this case, they're saying "I still haven't quite figured out just what you're doing or what the point of it is."

No, the triple is definitely way goofier than the vault. Worship the vaulter. Pity the triple jumper.

--WP
Pity the triple jumper.

Just don't live near him. ;)
"I still haven't quite figured out just what you're doing or what the point of it is."

Triple jumping, the state Math contest, an M.S. in Statistics....

I think you like to hear that statement :)

I was wishing they had shown more of the high jump last night. the greatest track and field event? Hmmmmm....I'm partial to the marathon.

I was, too. I enjoy the high jump competition, and they had a really good field this year. I'm amazed at how high these guys go. Last night's winner went 7'8.75", I believe. That's just a couple inches of jumping and putting your butt over the top of a standard 8' ceiling height. Mull over that accomplishment. Most people I know couldn't jump and TOUCH an 8' ceiling, let alone sling their butt over one.

As much as I like and respect the marathon, it really isn't properly classified as a track event. I think the Olympic vocabulary calls it "athletics" not "track and field", so it does sort of fit in that context. But it really is an entity unto itself.

Until they go out and do 105 laps around the track to get their 26.2 miles, I won't consider it a true track and field event.

--WP
"I still haven't quite figured out just what you're doing or what the point of it is."

Triple jumping, the state Math contest, an M.S. in Statistics....

I think you like to hear that statement :)

Don't forget about my membership in the juggling club, my affinity for watching Miami Vice reruns, and posting on LBYM.

--WP
Don't forget about my membership in the juggling club, my affinity for watching Miami Vice reruns, and posting on LBYM.

Which juggling club would this be?

And you know the juggler's motto: "There must be a harder way to do this"; seems right in line with the triple jump.

David
No. of Recommendations: 1
Which juggling club would this be?

College undergrad. I didn't stick with it terribly long, but got good enough to juggle 3 balls, including a few tricks. I used to be able to do 3 clubs but I can't any more. I never managed 4 or 5 balls.

And you know the juggler's motto: "There must be a harder way to do this"; seems right in line with the triple jump.

Again, the triple isn't about being hard so much as it is about being pointless.

--WP, proud ex-triple jumper
Sorry, you can only recommend a post to the Best of once.

Again, the triple isn't about being hard so much as it is about being pointless.

--WP, proud ex-triple jumper

Words to live by...Pete

Well, keep in mind that the juggler's motto applies only to tasks that are totally useless.

David
No. of Recommendations: 1
They also managed to present uninterruped coverage of the men's triple jump. Of course, they only bothered to show the 3 medalists, and a total of 5 attempts, and to throw in a comment about how unusual the event is.

This is why I wish track had been on CNBC or MSNBC. I might have actually gotten to watch the Most Important Olympic Event in its entirety. Instead, I only got 5 jumps worth of it.

I saw that and thought about you and felt sympathy for you. I LOVE Equestrian (that's the sport I used to compete in a billion years ago) and they used to show about 30 seconds of it if the US had won a medal, and none if they hadn't. I wonder why they don't move the stuff they are not going to cover over entirely, instead of doing crummy half assed coverage on NBC. And in some cases I guess they have, as I saw a good deal of women's shotput on one of the cable channels. Maybe the next Olympiad you will be lucky and they will move triple jump over too.