Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
from the wpt site:
--
Authored by: Andy Bloch

The post makes all too much sense. You're not fully initiated to the tournament circuit until TJ asks to borrow money. Ordinarily, I'd say that this kind of post is inappropriate, but TJ has "borrowed" from so many people that such a post could be considered a valuable public service.

And TJ is one of the worst craps players ever. There are ways to play craps to keep your expected loss to less than 1% and maximize your comps, but not the way TJ plays.
--Andy Bloch
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Anybody been watching the poker on Fox? I forget what it's called, but its basically a repeated tourney format with the same 8 guys each time: TJ, doyle, howard, ivey, chip, greenstein, chan, and gus (no negreanu or hellmuth).

Anyway, I'm no expert on NL tourney but TJ has just looked outmatched against those guys. Gus and Howard have been great. Chan has looked good but hasn't had any luck.
My TiVo missed it, I'm looking to catch up from now on.

Naj
What night is it on?

Eric
One pro in Aruba described TJ as the brokest winning pro out there....and a four letter word associated with female reproductive orifaces.

He is not well liked.

-Ryan
Ouch. I always that people were fond of him, even if he was stupid enough to blow all his money in other gambling ventures.

eric
What night is it on?

For me (here in northern VA) it's on Sunday night about 9pm usually. The thing is I'm not even sure what station it is. The channel guide calls it the Comcast Sportsnet, but it often seems to bill itself as FSN (Fox Sports Network). I guess it is some joint venture between Fox and Comcast?
My TiVo missed it, I'm looking to catch up from now on.

It's on constantly it seems. Unfortunatly, FSN doesn't distinguish between repeats and first run, so my TiVO picks up every episode! I have a wish list with the word "Poker", which is how I originally discovered it. Is there any other poker besides WPT, WSOP, and this (Poker Superstars Invitational)? Not counting celebrity poker, of course.
Anyway, I'm no expert on NL tourney but TJ has just looked outmatched against those guys. Gus and Howard have been great. Chan has looked good but hasn't had any luck.

TJ has won more tournament money than anyone else, ever. He doesn't win that many tournaments but he is almost always in the money.

Rick
One pro in Aruba described TJ as the brokest winning pro out there....and a four letter word associated with female reproductive orifaces.

He seems to have a craps problem.

Rick
Anybody been watching the poker on Fox? I forget what it's called, but its basically a repeated tourney format with the same 8 guys each time: TJ, doyle, howard, ivey, chip, greenstein, chan, and gus (no negreanu or hellmuth).

Yeah the Superstars Invitational I think. Gus has done really well pushing players around, but I have loved Lederer's play throughout.

What night is it on?

It's on constantly - my problem is TiVo for some reason can't tell the new episodes from the old. There was one series, with two games, each split into two hour shows, and then a final (I think, didn't catch that one or two). Now the second series has started, there have been two shows, each one half of the first game.

6, explainer extraordinaire
It's on constantly it seems. Unfortunatly, FSN doesn't distinguish between repeats and first run, so my TiVO picks up every episode! I have a wish list with the word "Poker", which is how I originally discovered it. Is there any other poker besides WPT, WSOP, and this (Poker Superstars Invitational)? Not counting celebrity poker, of course.

Dude, TiVo taped the 1998 WSOP final table for me off ESPN Classics the other night. It was not much fun to watch without the pocket cams.

Yeah the Superstars Invitational I think. Gus has done really well pushing players around, but I have loved Lederer's play throughout.

We were talking about this earlier. If you watch really closely, Hanson is catching on many of his plays. Nothing wrong with playing your rush but it's not the same thing as playing better than everyone else.

Poor Doyle. He calmly reports he's been having the worst month of his life and to prove it, plays AQ on a Q high flop against AA played perfectly.

Rick
We were talking about this earlier. If you watch really closely, Hanson is catching on many of his plays. Nothing wrong with playing your rush but it's not the same thing as playing better than everyone else.

A more correct statement would be that whatever network is showing the hands where Gus is catching. Look at the chip values between hands, see how much play has gone on between the hands that are replayed for tv.

-Ryan
TJ has won more tournament money than anyone else, ever. He doesn't win that many tournaments but he is almost always in the money.

If I am not mistaken, he has won more major tournaments than any other player. But I think he also plays a LOT more tournaments than anyone else...

ACME
IF you can tell me how to set up a wish list, I would be grateful.

tks,

naj
The 1997 one Stuey won where they played *outside* on Fremont St is still my favorite without the cameras. Talk about worrying about the elements affecting your game....

Naj