Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi, everyone! This year we are fortunate enough to have LOTS of big beautiful peaches, but they are ripening fast and the bees and wasps and squirrels have noticed them. This means that I need to get them in and processed fast. I have made 3 pies, and frozen some for pies for later.
Some are drying in the dehydrator. I am thinking about making jam now with the rest; last year I made a jalapeño peach jam that was great. The jam is also nice because it can be a low-key gift for hostesses. I just retired Thursday, so I have to time to mess around with the peeling, etc.

Does anyone have any other ideas for peach combos, or peach preservation in general? I was thinking about trying a rhubarb/peach jam or chutney but some in my family feel that it would be an abomination.

Thanks for any ideas or advice!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
I make peach marmalade, and it is a family favorite. We use it to spread on toast or bagels, and also in recipes that call for orange marmalade.

1 small orange
1 lemon
1/4 cup water
3 pounds of peaches (4 cups)
1 1.75 ounce package powdered fruit pectin
5 cups sugar

Cut orange and lemon in quarters; remove seeds. Slice orange and lemon quarters cross-wise into paper-thin slices. A food processor fitted with its thinnest cutting disk is perfect for this. In a medium saucepan, combine fruit slices and water. Cover and simmer the orange and lemon mixture for 20 minutes.

Peel, pit, and finely chop or grind peaches. I find that pulsing in the food processor works for this, but be careful not to puree and to chop the peaches. In an 8- or 10-quart kettle or Dutch oven, combine orange and lemon mixture with chopped peaches.

Stir pectin into fruit mixture. Bring mixture to full, rolling boil. Stir in sugar; bring again to full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard, uncovered, for 1 minute. Remove from heat, and quickly skim foam. Pour at once into hot sterilized jars and seal. Process in water bath for 15 minutes. Makes 7 or 8 half-pints.

I tend to make 3 or 4 batches when I make this, and give it as gifts as well as use in recipes.
No. of Recommendations: 2
This year we are fortunate enough to have LOTS of big beautiful peaches

Lucky you. Down here on the Gulf Coast, we usually only get those peaches that are picked green and never ripen in the local supermarkets.
;-(
How about making up some “peach bounce”, similar to “cherry bounce” but using peaches (See; http://www.nola.com/drink/index.ssf/2009/06/cherry_bounce_is... ). Instead of whiskey, I would use grain alcohol (Everclear if you can get it) or 100 proof vodka. Just dice up about two quarts of peaches, add a couple of cups of cane sugar and put it into a large wide mouth gallon jar. Cover the jar with a clean cloth held in place with a rubber band (to keep out fruit flies) and allow it to ferment for 3 or 2 weeks. When the fermentation slows down or stops, add alcohol and cover tightly for a couple of days. Strain out the solids, add more sugar and/or alcohol to taste and allow to settle in a tightly covered jar. When it is mostly clear (around Christmas) decant and enjoy.
;-)

C.J.V. – made brandied peaches one year when I lived in N.J., me
No. of Recommendations: 3
Lucky you. Down here on the Gulf Coast, we usually only get those peaches that are picked green and never ripen in the local supermarkets.

I'd buy 'em anyway :-)

http://food52.com/recipes/13549-crook-s-corner-s-green-peach...

This is absolutely gorgeous. I use it in summer when I end up with nectarines that won't ripen. Nectarine & chicken salad mmmmmmmmmm.

Mands
No. of Recommendations: 2
I was thinking about trying a rhubarb/peach jam or chutney but some in my family feel that it would be an abomination.

This sounds like an interesting experiment! I say, try it. Those who think it is an abomination don't have to eat it.

GeeB