Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I put a post on these in the Bond / Income board in May - so read that for some more background (common dropped $0.5 since then, and preferreds are slightly cheaper):

http://boards.fool.com/dundee-corp-preferred-33061278.aspx?s...

Quick summary though:
- mishmash poorly managed small cap Canadian holding co
- Been struggling w/ oil and gas slow down in Canada and struggles with the PARQ hotel/gaming business which is draining cash (but likely still valuable).

Dundee has 3 classes of preferreds. Of interest are the B and D which both basically trade for ~45% of par value, and pay ~13-13.5% current yields, and have rate protection features if Canadian yields rise.

I think the preferreds are well covered, but with a distressed common, you may see the following:
- dividend suspension (the preferred are cumulative, but still)
- cram down shenanigans out of court (the Goodman's who control Dundee for example in the past have remove retraction (put-ability) features from the E series preferred which is not shareholder friendly for preferred holders...)

Messy situation with no catalyst, but I think the assets well cover the preferred and impairment here is unlikely, and you get a notable yield while you wait.

Ben - Long
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.