Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I should properly introduce myself. I come from a long line of diabetics. Everyone on my mother's side had diabetes. Her siblings, her parents, her aunts. Of her 5 children, three are diagnosed diabetics. I was her caregiver before she passed from complications due to diabetes. But she was 72 years old and lived a meaningful life.

Diabetes is a tough disease, but you can learn to live with it. It is paramount that you find the right doctor, one who understands the disease, has the time for you as the patient, and is willing to keep abreast of research. Nutrition is #1 and exercise is #2. They go hand in hand in controlling blood sugar levels.

I sought out this board on purpose. One of my sister's (the diabetic with type O blood) has a partner who right now is in a rehab recovering from an amputation. There is a lot of history behind this result but it started with a stubbed toe and became complicated because of a doctor who was more concerned about being sued than caring for a patient.

We are all angry and sad and fear that this could happen to any one of us. Being in the care of the right physician is everything.

Donna
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.