Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 20
Hello everyone!

6 weeks ago I started a project in the Rulebreakers service to analyze a randomly-chosen company every week. Here's how I introduced that project:

I've learned a tremendous amount from TMF over the years, but I've come to realize that I lack practice. I would like to be more confident in evaluating companies on my own and choosing them for my portfolio. So I'm embarking on a long-term project: each week, I will start fresh with a random Rule Breaker recommendation chosen by computer, research it, and write up my thoughts on it along with a simple score of 1-5 stars reflecting my conviction as to whether or not I would want the company in a hypothetical real-money portfolio...

This is the kind of thing that I personally find more enjoyable as part of a group, so I'd like to invite anyone who wishes to join me. I've chosen 1-week periods so that we'll have some momentum, it's easy for new people to join in over time (or rejoin after periods when one is too busy to participate), and so we won't get bogged down too long on any one company.

I was recently asked in an email off-boards to expand the project into something public that everyone could participate in, so that's what this is! Obviously we won't be using Rulebreaker recommendations, though ;-)

So here's how it'll work to start, and we can evolve this as we go: each week, I'll let the computer randomly choose a company from a curated list, and then I'll post it here. We'll analyze it "reading club" style, where we all go off and do our own analysis as best we can, and then come back together at the end of the week to share our thoughts and discuss it. And I'm thinking maybe we can also do some supplemental discussions in the middle of our analysis week on the nuts and bolts of analysis, different approaches, various considerations, etc. if that's of interest to folks.

Over in Rulebreakers, I've been posting the new company on Fridays and then we've started our discussion the following Thursday. I'm going to start with that schedule here too, picking the first company this Friday (5/15) and then we can begin discussing it the following Thursday (5/21). We can adjust the schedule in the future if needed.

And remember, nobody is expecting perfect analysis! We all will just do the best job we can, with whatever knowledge and skills and time we have, and undoubtedly discover that there's a lot we don't know. ;-) That's what this is all about. So don't let yourself get stuck or discouraged -- if you run into a stumbling block, just move on and bring questions to the discussion! We'll all learn together. We're just a group of Fools having fun and getting better at analyzing companies, one week at a time.

Finally, I do want to mention that the point of this isn't to find new investments (though that may occasionally happen), but to get practice analyzing companies. Even when a company gets picked that is a clear loser, I think it's still worth analyzing it anyway and getting the practice: there's a lot to learn, even from losers!

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. This is all very informal, and everyone's input is welcome.

Thanks!
Neil
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.