Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
The "Blessing Box" idea has caught on at a number of churches. If you haven't seen one, it a box on the outside of the church that is usually stocked with nonperishable food items and other things that anyone can have.

I was coming into the church to ring the noon bell today and there was a guy with several bags of of groceries putting a lot of things in the blessing box in front of the church. He said he had heard or read about the box and that he comes by every week or so to put things in it. He said he knew what it was to go through hard times and that was why he brought food to put in it. He didn't feel the need to mix in words of religion or theology, he just knew what it was like to have a need and wanted to help someone else out.

It seemed that he would have been happy to come by and do what he wanted to do without getting any notice or attention. But our paths happened to cross and talking to him blessed me this morning.

And, truth be told, because of Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery and all of the destructive racial anamus that has surfaced, talking to this African American fellow filling up the blessing box at a church that most would identify as a "white church" was an emotional moment for me.

Of course the box has no gender or racial or ethic expectations of those who are part of this ministry, but his being there said more than the words do.

Just thought I'd share that with you.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.