Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi, all -

First of all, I'm glad this board is here and thank you all for your encouragement. I feel a little odd posting here because, compared to some of the issues others here are facing, my problems are pretty small.

I started watching 'bad' carbs, and started noticing that my blood sugar tends to plummet about a half hour after I get up, so a cup of tea with milk (actually, a mug of strong tea with about 1/4C skim milk) along with 1/4C OJ with equal water gets things going well. Breakfast at 7AM is OK and I go for higher protein and adequate carbs.

This stays with me pretty well, though I eat lunch earlier than I used to (no more waiting till 1:30. I haven't had the blood sugar 'crashes' I did before I started watching things. Hopeful stuff.

Anyhow, I'm still figuring things out, and it's good to have this group to 'talk' to.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
What do you mean by plummet? Fasting carbs are normally a little high in the normal range as your body prepares to energize for the day.

Fuskie
Who hopes you don't mix the tea and milk with the OJ...
No. of Recommendations: 0
(no more waiting till 1:30

The little booklet that came with my disease says: "Don't go more than 5 hours without food." This presumably reduces the tendency to have huge, gut-busting meals like the kind that got me into this overweight mess in the first place.

cassandra

/**/
No. of Recommendations: 0
What do you mean by plummet? Fasting carbs are normally a little high in the normal range as your body prepares to energize for the day.

Very true. In my case, though, if I don't get something in me by 8AM, the blood sugar drops rather quickly, bringing the lovely hypoglycemic symptoms. The OJ first thing (delicious mixed with tea and milk! ;P) helps to avert that. Also, eating a protein-rich breakfast. Before I was diagnosed, I avoided juice, thinking it didn't agree with me. My breakfast would be a low-fat blueberry muffin. Not a lot of staying power.
The little booklet that came with my disease says: "Don't go more than 5 hours without food." This presumably reduces the tendency to have huge, gut-busting meals like the kind that got me into this overweight mess in the first place.

Amen Sistah! :-)
Sometimes due to unforseen circumstances I go too long. Then I get so ravenous I have a hard time stopping the food intake. It's really hard to remember, and more importantly to act on the fact, that if I can wait 30 minutes after eating a reasonable amount of food that I will be much better off.
Ted

Diabetes comes with a handbook?

Fuskie
Who thinks that conflicts with getting 8 hours of sleep...
No. of Recommendations: 1
Diabetes comes with a handbook?

It does when my primary-care physician sends me to a diabetes dietician. Since my insurance doesn't cover "education" by dieticians {wonder if it covers prostheses for the uneducated}, the booklet cost me $85.

cassandra
who thinks there's a sleep exemption, provided one's dreams are low-carb

/**/
who thinks there's a sleep exemption, provided one's dreams are low-carb

I am definately not dreaming in low-carb, but I do dream in black and white...

Fuskie
Who got two visits to a dietician and a book with his insurance...