Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 14
I'd love to get more people involved with these analyses. I honestly think that doing a basic analysis of these companies is pretty easy and straight-forward -- and not even very time consuming -- once you get the hang of it. But it does take some practice, and there is a bit of a learning curve in the beginning. Still, I think it's totally worth it! After just one month I think you'll notice a big difference in your comfort level.

So what if you could analyze a company each week spending just 15 minutes per day? I absolutely think that's possible, especially once you get a few under your belt.

Here's a proposed schedule. It's a starting point that I think we could refine into something very workable:

Day 1: Read the "Business Overview" section at the beginning of the latest annual report (15 minutes).

Day 2: Read the "Management's Discussion of Financial Results" section of the latest annual report, usually found right after all the tables of financials (15 minutes). Note: this doesn't require any accounting knowledge; it's management's discussion of how the business is performing.

Day 3: Read the latest fiscal Q4 conference call transcript on Seeking Alpha (15 minutes)

Day 4: Read the latest available conference call transcript on Seeking Alpha, assuming the Q4 wasn't the latest (15 minutes).

Day 5: Choose one: look at the financials if you're comfortable with that; or, look at the company's latest investor presentation; or, go back and read another conference call transcript; or, go read some articles on the web about the company (15 minutes).

Day 6: Look at the company's Glassdoor rating and some reviews. Think a little bit about valuation and whether the current stock price makes sense give your current understanding of the business. (15 minutes).

Day 7: Post your thoughts on the board! (15 minutes)

Obviously there is more that can be done. And before actually buying a company and committing capital, I would suggest doing a little more (like learning more about management). But I think the above can give a good sense of what a company does and where it's headed as a business, and I think 15 minutes is pretty realistic for each day's work (if you're a slow reader, like I am, it might be 20 minutes).

As I said, this is just a starting point. But what do folks think? Does the above seem practical and doable? For those doing analyses or are comfortable doing them, what would you change?

Neil
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.