Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Anchak - thanks for the clarification. Availability is the smaller of the two real world issues, and having run a real world money fund with long/short design through IB I agree that it is rarely an issue to be able to short.

The cost to borrow is the tricky issue, since the liquidity of equities of any form is not that tightly correlated to the cost to borrow, so we would need to actually get this information as a live data stream. This is both a licensing issue and technical issue which I would likely defer on dealing with until the SimFool system gained some traction, just to speed up the launch cycle and lower the barrier to starting.

The reason why I consider the cost to borrow issue as critical is that from direct experience, I can say that this has the capacity to make the difference between a theoretically brilliant strategy and a losing strategy in practice.  

From the licensing side, if anyone is aware of daily cost to borrow data that is a publicly available source (it would have to be some form of average since the actual cost to borrow is determined by your broker), please let me know. The technical issue is the easier of the two to solve, and I'd be in no way adverse to tackling this at the outset if we have a convenient data source.

Thx,

Xander (TMFCrocoStimpy) 

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.