No. of Recommendations: 0
And, as the authors conclude, “While almost all papers in our review reported a general pattern of average neural activity occurring before participants' awareness of their intention to act, the relationship of this activity to their intention still needs to be established.”

Thanks for the description of the paper but I am not sure your point. The paper is a review article that lists criticisms of Libet and similar studies. Prior to this review there have been other papers that criticize the methodology used, most notably IMO questioning the accuracy of the subjective appraisal by the subject of when they were consciously aware of making a decision. The quote above from your post indicates doubt about the conclusions that can be drawn from the Libet-type studies done so far.

Are you arguing Libet and other have disproven free will?

I think I’m losing you right after the first sentence.

As benjd noted, I am proposing how in principle there might be a difference between behaviors with and without free will. No doubt as you describe these would be difficult experiments to do. But I think the first step is to think about whether those with free will would behave differently from those without, and what you would need to measure to see the difference.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.