Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
And be sure to check your paychecks or with your payroll dept. to make sure you are paying adequate taxes to NY all year long. This past year, after I moved back to NJ from NY but continued to work in NY, my payroll dept. began allocating my state taxes in full to NJ. As a result, I owed $5000 AND underpayment penalties for the year. While I will get $3300 back from NJ, it cost me an extra $340 in penalties and a fee for having to use my credit card to pay the surprise taxes.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.