No. of Recommendations: 1
And, don't forget, both stocks and bonds are now heavily dependent on foreign investment, and a weak dollar doesn't help.

I saw a comment on the tube in the past couple of weeks that one of the biggest problems in dealing with the current problem is that the USD has slid so much against the Euro. Lowering the funds rate (and probably more on the discount rate to stimulate inter-bank lending) will tend to push the dollar down more. The question is: what happens to the long bond if the ROW (Rest Of World) decides they've had enough of US inflation? Do interest rates go down for a few months, then skyrocket when there's trouble with the next long bond auction? That's kinda my feeling, but I'm not willing to bet money on it.

Hedge
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.