Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 11
And for options, also the same. 57 million option contracts traded in the US yesterday. This was the largest option volume day in history.”

I did my little part to pump up the option volume on Thursday!
I sold Berkshire covered calls.

Not that I'm bearish as such, but I'm a retired fellow who has to sell some shares from time to time for expenses.
I've been fixing to sell a few shares for a while to raise some money, but not in any great hurry.
So I've been writing repeated calls till they disappear.
During a price dip they have little return left so I close them early to take the profit, then replace them on the next rally.
It has been kind of fun, and will certainly have improved the overall price I receive relative to having sold the shares when I started in September.
So far I'm doing better by $14.90 per B share.
It's unknowable whether it will have improved the price I receive had I simply sold on the day they finally disappear, but as time goes on the odds increase.
And it keeps my itchy fingers from doing trades that are dumber. I can only aspire to Mr Buffett's level of sloth.

Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.