Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
And higher income earners do, too.

From some old notes:

A. Social Security is expected to replace about 40 percent of pre-retirement earnings of average earners; 80 percent for the lowest earners; and 27 percent for those at the maximum taxable wage base of $80,400 [2001], according to the Social Security Administration.

While it does look like high income earners are getting whacked, it certainly doesn't feel that way. The lowest earners probably need that 80% of their pre-retirement savings because they either didn't save anything for retirement or didn't have any excess funds to invest. While 27 percent of pre-retirement earnings look low for those at the maximum taxable wage base, it may represent a good portion of their post-retirement income needs. Personally, SS will cover most of my income needs with only small withdrawals from my retirement accounts. I'll be living far below my pre-retirement income.

PSU
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.