No. of Recommendations: 0
And how would you know that? What drove your consciousness to make that decision (if anything)? If that something was out of your control then free will is potentially compromised.

The belief in free will is based on the same evidence as that of consciousness and the existence of subjective thoughts. All these are based solely on personal experience. Belief in free will seems pretty universal and instinctive, people in all cultures assume they are responsible for their behavior. So if free will is false, one has to postulate that the human brain evolved to give this false impression of conscious control. It's possible, but seems unnecessary.

I won't speak for Anthony, but it seems he is at least implying that there could be such drivers that are beyond your control, and further that you aren't even aware are in there. How could you possibly test for such a thing to falsify it?

You and Anthony propose unknown factors controlling conscious thought in unknown ways. That is tough to falsify or prove, but I think testing your proposal is your responsibility. I believe I have free will for the same reason I believe I am conscious and self-aware. It is what I experience and that experience is pretty convincing to me. So IMO, the burden of proof is on those who claim my personal experience is false.

This is why I am confused as to what point Anthony is trying to make. His posts mostly seem to say that studies on free will are difficult and inconclusive. I agree, which is why I see nothing that challenges the evidence of my personal experience that free will exists.,
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.