Skip to main content
Update
The boards are getting a new home!

We're pleased to announce an update is coming to the community boards.

Saturday, September 24th: We are migrating the boards to a new platform. The site is currently in read-only mode and we will bring it back online as soon as the migration is complete.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
After an almost 5 years search across 3 states and British Columbia, last year I found a pretty clean 1990 Ford Probe LX 5-speed. I had given up on finding a 1989 model (it was a single year body style) and expanded my search to go through 1990. It was in the family it's entire life (technically a two owner car), the first, elderly owner died of old age. It had every receipt and maintenance record from new purchase, mostly dealer serviced. They even did the first oil change at 1,500 miles and the car only had 74.1K miles at purchase, verified by all the records. Mechanically it was perfection, with just a short list of issues to address. Issues I had saved up the cash to cover this month.

On Friday while stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic, a middle aged lady decided she had waited long enough at a complicated intersection and without warning, attempted an illegal u-turn. I was driving in the far left turn lane and without even time to brake, she jumped out of the line of traffic to my right, and I broadsided her square in her driver door. Fenders, hood, front bumper cover, power headlights, and worst of all the passenger door won't open without binding, the Satanic motorized seat belt on the passenger side is now inoperative, and the driver door will open but very lightly binds on the fender.

The Probe is insured through Hagerty on declared value but given the unibody is clearly tweaked, parts availability, and the challenges of matching a 28 year old paint job (still original paint in pretty darn good condition, no peeling clear). I just don't see it. Waiting to hear from the adjusters on next steps.

No one hurt, the ancient safety systems of the Probe operated normally, and the other party was cited. Their insurance has accepted liability and ironically, I'm driving a Ford Focus rental car now (I recently sold the Holdenized G8 of course, and my daily drive Chevy Avalanche is also in the body shop from a hit-and-run driver in a parking lot). Insurance and registration does not allow me to drive the Isuzu daily.

But the Probe? She will go sailing, no more is my guess.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.