No. of Recommendations: 0
And if I do file the money I make as self-employment income, I will be able to contribute this amount into an IRA, correct?

That's basically right. But there's a slight complication. If you file self-employment income, you'll also have to pay social security taxes. Self-employment income gets reported on Schedule C, and the thing to do there is to list your expenses. (For example, if you earn money by lawn care, perhaps you have costs such as the purchase of a weed whacker, costs for lawn-mower maintenance, gasoline, etc.) The costs are subtracted from the gross income to yield your net income. Taxwise, self-employment is a bit more complicated than "regular" employment. (But only a bit.)

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.