Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 9
...and in the category of "Best Self-Important Jackass the winner is...(drum roll).....

Mr. Mike Tranghese.

Oh my, how the mighty have fallen.

So, Mike, Miami joining the ACC is the "most disastrous blow to intercollegiate athletics in [your] lifetime," huh? You don't think that's just a tad melodramatic?

Let's break it down, shall we.

Say Miami, BC, and Syracuse bolt for the ACC. Where's the blow to "Intercollegiate Athletics" that surpasses steroid use, point shaving, or BYU winning the football national title in 1984? How will this move take away the feeling you get watching a marching band 15 minutes prior to the opening game of the football season? Are track stars at UCLA really dreading this move? Are gymnasts at Michigan trembling in fear at the implications something like this could have?

C'mon, if I were to make a list of exactly for whom this move is disastrous it would look something like this:

1) Virginia Tech
2) Mike Tranghese
3) The remaining schools in the Big East who were myopic enough to believe that they weren't only in the BCS because of Miami.

I'm pretty sure that's it. This is a pretty small sample to label this move "disastrous" for "ALL of intercollegiate athletics," isn't it, Mikey?

I love how you pleaded with Dr. Shalala not to disrupt the "history" of your conference. I mean it was formed in 1979. WAAAAAAAY back in 1979. Mike, Mike, Mike. You do realize, of course, that once you're the commissioner of a non-BCS league, you'll be driving a car that was made before your "historic" league was, right?

Mikey, this has got to be a real bugger for you, huh. It was less than a year ago that you were banging your shoe on the table and refusing to share "our money." You were the guardian of the BCS palace; making sure that the peasants were kept on their steady diet of gruel while you sat on your throne, helping yourself to the feast at the head of the table.

At the BCS meetings this year, you'll be sitting at the kiddie table playing Tic-Tac-Toe and digging wax out of your ears with your keys. How could this happen to you?

You? I mean you were the guy who coined the phrase, "Non-Equity League." Now, you'll be calling an attorney when it looks like Virginia Tech will be rewarded for their 12-0 season with a Motor City Bowl berth.

So, congratulations, Mikey. Very few actually reach the point in life where they can relate to Ed Rooney on the School Bus at the end of Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Frankly, couldn't happen to a more deserving guy.

Roger
(fan of a team in a non-bcs league)

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.