No. of Recommendations: 19
And it certainly doesn't explain the under 34 age bracket and its household, non-home-equity net worth of about one year's Roth IRA contribution. I'm embarassed for my age group!

Well, they don't exactly state where they've started that '34 and younger' bracket. I mean, if they're starting with infants or high schoolers, that's going to skew those numbers way down. So don't be completely embarrassed - it might be misleading group size. ;-)

I wish I could pretend surprise, but I really can't. I'm in that 34-44 range, and yeah - that's about where I think most of my friend group is, net-worth-wise. One of the things I've been noticing (with alarm) is the exponential rise in mortgaging their future for stuff now. Credit cards, car loans, and refinancing their homes "with cash out" every single time the newspaper reports a surge in home prices in our area.

It'll be hard to convert the whole country. We're up against a lot of really good marketing agencies who have a much sexier message. We may find “save now, before you're OLD” a thrilling tag-line, but most people will prefer something more like, “Plus, the 2005 model has swirlies in the stick shift knob!”.

I've had the best success with good old communication, plain and simple. Just chatting about stuff, and not being embarrassed (much) to say it like it is. There's a lot of stuff I “can't afford” because I'm busy trying to rebuild here. I've got major net worth rebuilding to do after a near-death experience with consumer debt. Just talking about it seems to be a great way to help other people see the sense in it.

Not everybody is going to leap into Fooldom. In fact, I think most people won't. But at the very least, maybe we can get a few people to peer through the fence at us, take a chapter or two out of our book and at least hesitate a moment to ponder life after today for a minute.

Onward!
Tamarian
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.