Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
And note that if you did not keep the needed records, you probably can obtain copies of old statement from your then custodian for a fee.

I should think any brokerage statement or custodian statement showing that you owned them 5 years ago would be sufficient.

Now that many statements are electronic, one wonders how long they will continue to be available. Paper is heavy, takes up storage space, etc, etc, but is still legible for at least 100 yrs. Electronics equipment gets replaced and someone has to convert the old files one way or another.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.