No. of Recommendations: 13
I finally went shopping for a new fridge (mine is 17 years old and hasn't had working in-door water or ice in many moons--in fact, for the last few years, I've pumped water from 5-gallon carboys half the time for fresh water. And it's hard to get the drawers to close properly--and my fridge has been repaired multiple times over the years (before this, I only repaired one old fridge once).

So. We go to Lowe's w/the measurements, buy a fridge, go to Trader Joe's to get some grub (not too much--will have to transfer to new fridge next week!), and drive home. And for the very first time in my life, I hit the car in front me--hard enough to slightly dislodge the back panel of a nice SUV. We pulled into the closest parking lot and exchanged info. I told her if this was less than my deductible, I'd prefer to just pay her (I hope that's legal--I've never dealt with this before and don't know. The only other time I used mny car insurance was 2 winters ago when my windshield cracked in an ice storm and I had it replaced via insurance).

Anyhow, she went directly to a nearby collision repair place, called me with the estimate ("under $200"), I drove over and paid cash, and she made an appointment for repair tomorrow. Cost me all of $160. Ya know, if she'd asked me to pay her and said it was $600, I wouldn't have known any better. Lucky for me, she's honest--also not angry I hit her. She was young and kind. Let's hear it for millennials!

PS--I'd like to say "lesson learned," but I wasn't speeding or otherwise driving dangerously. Just a bit distracted.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Forgot to mention that my car's front panel was also a wee bit dislodged, but I pressed it back into place. We'll see if it rattles loose and I need to see the collision-repair dudes for myself(!).
No. of Recommendations: 2
Sorry about the car accident but it seems to have been very 'minor'......

My fridge is 28 years old. Good old GE one that keeps on working. Had one repair about 10 years ago when a thermostat went bad....and replaced the hinge assembly at the same time. That was it. So far so good. When it dies, I'll get a new one.

New ones last about 10 years if you are lucky. Made out of crap and designed to fail. Like big screen TVs that seem to die before 5 years. Same with new water heaters and air conditioning units. 25 years ago, they lasted 15 years or longer.....(my front air conditioner lasted 25 years).....now, they tell you 8-10 years at best......

At least cars last a whole lot longer. Back in the 1950s and 60s, they rusted out in five years......and a car with 60,000 miles was 'old'...and they got 13 mpg. Now, cars routinely (other than Chrysler) go 150,000-200,000.....and Hondas and Toyotas run forever.....well, 250,000 plus miles. Just turned 101,000 miles in the 2016 Malibu.

t.
Same with new water heaters

That's a function of the anode inside the water heater. The difference between a 6 year and 12 year warranty heater is the size of the anode. If you want to extend the life of a water heater, you should replace the anode every few years.

PSU
The main thing is no one was hurt.

Also, in most areas, when it's a very minor accident, law enforcement will not take an accident report. At most, they just ensure both drivers exchange information.

Fool on,

mazske
Sorry about the car accident

thx, tele

My fridge is 28 years old. Good old GE

Mine was also a GE. GE Profile side by side. The water & ice have been problematical for many years with multiple DIY and professional repairs. It has been reliable at keeping cold, however. Several repairmen said GE ain't what she used to be. I ordered an LG fridge.
The main thing is no one was hurt.

Indeed! I wasn't even in shock. I can only wish for the days when a car accident would've been a big deal...

ASIDE
9 days after calling the gas company for more propane they came to deliver. But I got a note on my door saying they couldn;t because too much brush around the tank(!). I left a message for the landscaper and just laughed.

Yesterday I fixed pan-fried flounder in the toaster oven and pan-fried garlic broccoli in the Instant Pot. Worked great! Tomorrow I'm fixing a Thai ground turkey dish that I'd normally cook in the wok or large Le Creuset pot. But the Instant Pot on saute mode will be fine.

Maybe I don't even need a stove!
<<My fridge is 28 years old. Good old GE one that keeps on working.>>

How 'bout the plastic insides? I often find that bins, retainers and other plastic parts break and impair the utility of the refrigerator.

Although I do tend to improvise with various substitutes and 2nd rate repairs.

Seattle Pioneer
"Several repairmen said GE ain't what she used to be. I ordered an LG fridge. "

GE sold the appliance business to some 3rd rate company that got to keep the GE name.

LG has good reputation according to Consumer Report......

It has an expected life probably of 10 years though......

t.
SP:"How 'bout the plastic insides? I often find that bins, retainers and other plastic parts break and impair the utility of the refrigerator."

So far so good. Glass shelves and metal rack system. Door doing fine.....

don't use the ice maker so that is not an issue. But it still works. Turn it on when I expect company for a few days.

Right now the switch for the inside light is gummed up......no light inside.....gotta find my WD-40. Some gunk ran down inside the switch a year ago. Kept cleaning it and it would work for a while.

It's big enough for me ........ side by side fridge/freezer doors.

t.
telephone line man: New ones [refrigerators] last about 10 years if you are lucky.

I suppose mine must have been replaced at least twice, seeing as it was installed in 1985. No, wait! It's the same machine! It's a miracle! I will admit to some maintenance costs, but it still runs and does all the things it's supposed to do.

CNC
We have 2 45 inch Panasonic TV's that seem just fine.
<<I suppose mine must have been replaced at least twice, seeing as it was installed in 1985. No, wait! It's the same machine! It's a miracle! I will admit to some maintenance costs, but it still runs and does all the things it's supposed to do.>>

Mine dates from 1990. No repairs done on it, but it has issues.

The refer light burned out years ago ---I hevan't replaced it.

Several plastic bins are cracked and must be treated with care to avoid breaking them altogether.

Several of the retaining brackets in the door are broken and gone ----I have replaced some with make dos using clothes hangers.

So the refer itself works like a champ, but the accessories have proven to be weak sisters.

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 1
CNC:"I suppose mine must have been replaced at least twice, seeing as it was installed in 1985. No, wait! It's the same machine! It's a miracle! I will admit to some maintenance costs, but it still runs and does all the things it's supposed to do."

Like I said before, my GE refrig is going on 29 years old.....and only had one repair on a door seal/hinge bracket, and a thermostat.

You talk to any appliance repairman, or to the sales people, they'll tell you expected life is 10 years......and Consumer Reports agrees with them.

A lot of new stuff is crap.

Especially Sub Zero which is nothing but trouble for my sister....repairs every 2-3 years.

t.
A lot of new stuff is crap.

Especially Sub Zero which is nothing but trouble for my sister....repairs every 2-3 years.

t.

How did you know my (now 34 year old) refrigerator is a Sub Zero? You must of peeked!

Truthfully, I wouldn't buy another. The Frigidaire or Maytag are MUCH less expensive, and both enjoy a good reputation. And don't forget the Maytag repairman!

Another confession: I didn't buy the Sub Zero. It was in the house when we bought it. The house also had two washers and driers, both High End. All died. And the dishwasher, same brand. New D/W is Maytag. New washer/drier are LG.

CNC
More on the propane front...car accident is now ancient history...

Landscape dude came today to carve a path to the propane tank through the brush and informed me there was a hole in the propane line--this was before he chopped down any vegetation, so he didn't make the hole.

So I call the propane folks, tell them access will be ready momentarily and btw I need a line repair as well as gas. They said they can't do a repair for about 3 weeks(!) and to call a subcontractor they use to get faster service. Which I did, and texted him a picture of the hole, which he said looks like it was made within the past couple of weeks(???), and he says he'll come Friday morning (so I had to move a dental appointment out a couple of weeks). So I call the gas folks to deliver on Friday afternoon. I hope! I have a guest early half of next week, then DD & family arriving on the 30th. I do need a stove for company! gah! Hope this all works out!

Cooking shrimp shortly in my Instant Pot...

Lunch was a salad made of mostly leftover cooked veggies. Trying to eat down as much of the fridge as I can before the new one arrives on Wednesday.

Egads, I thought retirement was supposed to be relaxing...
Cooking shrimp shortly in my Instant Pot...

Recipe, please?

Thank you.

Karen
Greek shrimp. No recipe, something I make fairly regularly. Lessee...

(1) Saute' a finely chopped large shallot or small-med onion in olive oil.

(2) Stir in a heaping tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp sweet Hungarian paprika, 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes.

(3) When shallot is caramelizing, add 1/4 cup white wine, 2-3 diced beefsteak tomatoes (farmer's market last week--finally dead ripe!), a pressed garlic clove or 2.

(4) When nice & saucy, add a few chopped kalamata olives and 2/3 lb fresh or thawed raw shrimp. Cook till shrimp are barely done--just a few minutes.

Serve over 2 cups hot cauliflower rice (or hot orzo, or rice) into which you stirred 1/3 cup chopped feta (the good stuff, not too salty, and def not the crumbles ;-) and chopped fresh mint.

Feeds 2 hungry peeps. Hey--it's even Mediterranean ;-) Drink some wine and pretend you're having baklava for dessert...
No. of Recommendations: 3
hahahaha...well!

The subcontractor propane-tank-repair dude was able to fit me in today. He said it looks like the line was damaged by landscaper equipment--and that whoever did it knew enough to turn off the tank!

Since he showed me, I finally know how to check the tank and turn it on & off. He also said the service valve was leaky except when fully open or closed, the top of the tank a bit corroded, and advised me to ask for a new tank. Which I did, but their computer is down so they will call me back. Ah...it will be done during grandchildren's visit. Perhaps they'll find it entertaining--although since it's in the morning, likely be at the beach or water park. I hope no leaking gas around DD/grandchildren/SIL. (The hubster & I are...expendable.)

Meanwhile I have 30% left in the tank. So I asked for a smaller replacement tank, but they're back-ordered and I need a new tank fast.

So back to getting prepared for the new fridge tomorrow! And tomorrow while waiting for fridge delivery, getting prepared for the house-pressure-wash dude on thursday (he was supposed to come a month or so ago, but this is my rain check). He does the back porch & its furniture, which means I have to remove all the seat cushions, unzip and wash them and put them back on. The hubster used to help...we'll see. Since the hubster won't clean the gutters any more (he always moaned about it), I have them blow those out as well.

I can cook on the stove tonight--how novel! I wonder if 11 days of me heating water for coffee in the microwave means the hubster forgot how to boil water on the stove. I give it 50-50. I'm confident, however, that he'll stop gesticulating at the stove and proclaiming gibberish 8-10 times a day, which was his way of saying wtf/broken... I explained every time, but he either doesn't understand or can't remember. The last time was just a few minujtes before the repair dude fixed it.

Meanwhile, DD sent me some violin music to practice so I can play with my grndson who will be here 6/30-7/7. Looks hard! I'm out of practice (last time I played was w/him during Christmas week). Plus I need new glasses (had to cancel an appointment and never made a new one). Hope I can read it. Unlike my computer, I can't magnify actual paper...one of the reasons I don't play much any more). Gotta work on my finger callouses or it will hurt. 10 mins today, 15 tomorrow, till I work up to an hour. DGS enjoys playing w/me because--he's the boss!