Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
And please don't forget that low/moderate income taxpayers with fairly simple returns (including itemizing deductions and reporting capital gains/losses) can obtain FREE return preparation and filing (including e-filing) assistance from TCE and VITA volunteer counselors located in many community or senior centers, libraries, etc. The counselors go through annual training and must pass a test in order to be certified by the IRS. TCE and VITA are supported in large part by the IRS, and the AARP Foundation sponsors a number of TCE sites through its Tax-Aide program.

These volunteer counselors may offer good suggestions on minimizing taxes in the coming year.

Karl Pearson, Tax-Aide, Los Gatos, CA
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.