No. of Recommendations: 44
And some words of wisdom about what’s happening right now!

Later in the book, Schwab is talking about 1988 and 1989, right after the 25% one-day crash of October 1987.

“The good news was that the stock market was rising again, restoring to wholeness those who stayed put, and greatly rewarding those brave enough to have jumped in at the trough… We know now with the benefit of hindsight that the longest bull market in history was already off and running. In fact, the late 1980’s, right after the crash was probably the best opportunity my generation was ever presented to dive into the market. It was the chance of a lifetime to make enormous long-term investing gains. But few recognized it at the time. Having just been burned, many watched warily from the sidelines.

I have now seen nine market crashes in my life
, and it still troubles me that investors react this way, because it always ends the same. The market roars back and leaves too many investors sitting on the sideline missing out.

Saul: I still see many people burned from the 2008 crash who are still gun-shy and afraid to invest. As Charles says here, each crash damages some people like that.

Best,

Saul
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.