Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
And that is where I would appreciate any thoughts, opinions, suggestions. Are we better off putting everything toward paying off house, then work on building up the short term retirement funds? Or some ratio of both. -- Kevin

It seems that most of financial advice is to pay off your debts, then invest.

My personal, non-investment-professional view of the subject is that my mortgage costs me 4% per year (and is deductible). Using your target of earning 8% on investments, are you better off investing at 8% or in essence getting a return of 4% by paying the mortgage faster?

I'm retired and we lived for a little while without a house (rented a condo from our daughter). Last summer, we bought a house and got a mortgage with a balance around $200k even though we could have paid 100% cash. Why? Because it's cheap money and I have a long history of earning more though my investments than that money costs me. So, I usually earn enough from investing that $200k or so every couple months than the annual interest cost. And in an extra month, I earn enough to pay the rest of the mortgage (the principal) for a full year. The rest is gravy. YMMV.

Still, most professionals would never do it this way. But it isn't rocket science.

Rob
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.