Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
And that's a wonderful picture! You look like an adult. All grown up and able to take responsibility for your life.

Greetings, Nancy, thanks for the nice words. What I like about that picture is that it DOES look like a good summary to date of where I have arrived at - in other words, I have a rightful claim now to being 51 and more confident than I was in my 20s or 30s about my place in society and what I brought to the table.

But don't be fooled. I am definitely more comfortable with myself yet I still have issues to battle with (not actually visible in this photo) given the ongoing saga of my skin graft in 2004 which is out there on the infratip of my nose for all the world to see (at least the world who meets me face to face on a daily basis). So I am not without reckoning - the photo looks better than I ordinarily do, but I suppose having reached age 51 has allowed me to bear this with more grace than I could have were I a lot younger. It seems unlikely to be able to be significantly improved on, either, so it is up to me to decide that it is a feature, not a bug.

Nonetheless, this is a discussion we happen to be having about an aspect of appearance. If I shifted the focus off how I look and onto what I do, I am pleased to say that it does seem true that a lot of people receive help from my efforts they find useful and comforting (just as so many on the Fool have found the same from your efforts, especially on the Surviving Cancer board). So the truest picture is not really the photo - it's made up of both achievements and barriers - but it adds up to a woman who came through her earlier years not unscarred but still willing, able and ready to serve, and sometimes even command when she needs to.

xraymd
P.S. I loved your thought about Mitt Romney - how can we get a subterfuge going to cause this to happen at some press conference?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.