Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 22
And vague statements like "A 1099 from a broker is often insufficient..." really doesn't mean anything. If you have specific examples, show them and cite the Pub or IRC. Otherwise, you're just making noise and being annoying.

Let's make this clearer. A 1099-DIV from a broker can be insufficient to prepare a correct return. Assume a single taxpayer with a substantial brokerage account who receives a 1099-DIV with the following entries:

1a) Ord divs: $20000
1b) Qual divs: #18000
7) Foreign tax: $400
9) Foreign country: various

You do not have enough information to prepare an accurate return. The foreign tax paid is >$300, so Form 1116 is required. In order to complete Form 1116, you need to know how much of the Box 1a and 1b amounts are foreign sourced. That information is not part of the 1099-DIV, but will be in the supplemental statements.

No noise and not annoying... informative.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.