Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 15

And who ever said that going to medical school for three years should guarantee that a doctor will be a MILLIONAIRE. But that is what they expect today. Why do you think that doctors come from all over the world to practice here? Because this is the place where they can do the most good? Because this is where they can most completely fulfill their Hypocratic oath? HAAA! They come here because in the U.S. over the last 30 years doctors have gone from being fairly paid professionals to being uncaring pirates who become filthy rich through the suffering of others. THAT is one of the major reasons health care costs have gone up.

OK, you touched a nerve with this one... so consider this a rant alert:

<RANT>
I've been out of med school for 7 years (and school was 4 years, not 3, plus another 4 years of college), and I'm still waiting for my million.

For the record, I am making a salary right at $50,000 per year, which is for an academic position (not trainign salary, which was even lower for the six years prior to this), treating patients with bone marrow & stem cell transplantation. My website is: http://www.stemcelltransplants.org

I also run several email support groups, and dispense 3-4 treatment recommendations for leukemia patients weekly, all of which comes out of my personal time, for no fee, and probably with some uncovered liability risk for me.

I am not a health care economist, so I cannot comment on whether physician salaries are a major reason for skyrocketing health care costs. However, I would estimate that my $50,000 academic salary probsbly makes me one of the lower paid members of this board, and unlikely to be a contributor to healthcare inflation. Perhaps you should ask the patients who expect a $250,000 allogeneic bone marrow transplant to be covered whether they think it is worth the cost, and ask the other people who iin fact pay for this whether they would wish to deny it to the patient. Insurance companies do in fact routinely deny a BMT... it is a standard form letter which have to appeal every single time. In fact, we employ three people working solely for hte patients in order to get these procedures approved, or else we can't offer it to them. Our department budget is like a shoestring, and a single uncovered transplant would sink us, so I guess we're greedy for requiring payment before treating. I'm greedy for living on $50,000 a year after 14 years of higher education and training.

You should think a little more carefully before stereotyping a whole group of hardworking people, and characterizing them as greedy and uncaring. And if you'd like to invest more than 10 years in education and training, at your own expense, so you can get out and make $50,000 a year, so that you can make the system more the way you want it, then feel free to take the med school entrance exam and start on that path.

</RANT>

-hack
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.