Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
And yes, I know the option trades are supposed to go on another form..IRS form 1256 Contracts and Straddles, or something like that.

??? pretty sure they go on Form 8949

i googled form 1256 and found nothing (did find Form 6781 for section 1256 contracts, which sez:

Section 1256 Contract
A section 1256 contract is any: • Regulated futures contract,
• Foreign currency contract,
• Nonequity option,
• Dealer equity option, or
• Dealer securities futures contract.
For definitions of these terms and more details, see section 1256(g) and Pub. 550.
Note. A section 1256 contract does not include any interest rate swap, currency swap, basis swap, commodity swap, equity swap, equity index swap, credit default swap, interest rate cap, interest rate floor, or similar agreement.

does not sound like your typical Option......
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.