No. of Recommendations: 2
*and yes, The Millionaire Nextdoor! Read it if you haven't already. Directly addresses this contrast between Drs and Teachers. Among other interesting performance by various groupings, like ethnicity (e.g. got a Scot background? You're likely to out perform in this area compared to someone with a German family background).

Interesting! I was born in Ayr, Scotland. I arrived on a troop ship carrying War Brides and their children to the United States in 1946.

I was studying Economics at UC Berkeley when I received a draft notice inviting me to participate in the Vietnam War. Managed to get enlisted in the USAF where I was trained as a Computer Programmer. After my military discharge, I completed my BS in Economics with a minor in Computer Science.

Worked as a Software Engineer for the next 40 years until I retired in 2013 at 68. I had an 8 figure income when I retired but only 6 of them were to the left of the decimal point. My colleagues at work often referred to me as "Herr Doktor" as I had a tendency to shift into lecture mode on technical aspects of various projects on which we were working.

So one million for being a Scot and another for being an engineer. Do I get another for being a teacher/lecturer?

I suspect that what wealth I have is a result of being raised by parents that grew up during the depressions in the UK and US. You learned to be frugal.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.