No. of Recommendations: 12
and yet the very story was about waiting in line at Comcast a COMPLETELY OPTIONAL cable service? This should be the last place people should be spending their money if they had it as bad as so many people think.

Good grief, what world do you live in? Do you really think that poor people should not have access to tv? That in their lives of living month to month or check to check, they shouldn't be able to avail themselves of the one cheap entertainment/education venue left to them? Would you really recommend that kids be brought up in a household without access to tv and the internet?

I admire people who go without tv. Myself, I love movies, documentaries and PBS enough that paying the outrageous cable and Netflix bills seems quite justified, but it doesn't matter much because I can afford them. If I couldn't, I could go without for myself. But only if I didn't have children at home.

Even convicted murderers and rapists get access to tv. I think the poor deserve as much, actually much more, than these people do. Obviously you disagree, and that's fine. But I'm willing to bet that you have never been part of a family goiing hungry, never had kids that you didn't know how you were going to feed, clothe, get to school or connect with friends. If you have been there, my apologies, and then I wonder how you come up with these ideas, how the poor should be content to have nothing but survival gear and rice in their cave dwelling.

This thread is getting way too political/ideological, so let's just agree to disagree, okay? Meanwhile I wish you prosperity and all the cable tv you want, and nice clothes for your kids if you are so lucky to have them. Maybe even a cell phone for the kids so they are not virtual outcasts in their peer society. You see, I think when we are wealth(ier) we seem to forget sometimes how damned hard these situations are on families and especially on the young. Personally, I hope I never forget. Oh! I hope you never do either, but that's just my 'luxury' wish for you, not actually necessary for basic survival, in case that's your standard for being content.

Thanks for the discussion,

Dan
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.