No. of Recommendations: 1
Lets remember what we asked Santa for as kids. Our ages will show.....:-)

I remember one year all I wanted was a TV set for the Doll House.
They missed the point completely and got a new doll house. I don't remember much about it but I'm sure if it was on antiques roadshow we'd ooh & ah that it was a 50's classic. I'm not even sure if there was a tv in it.
I'm just young enough that TV was a given and I couldn't imagine that there was a time without it. {in a large urban area}.

One year I wanted this Big, Fancy, 5 foot Camel I saw at the stuffed animal display at May Company (or one of those). That was what I was asking Grandma for. I got this little camel that looked like it was covered with terrycloth, must have been about a foot & a half at the biggest. Again, I thought they missed the point. But I'll always remember that was 1960, an election year, because my sister got an elephant but *I* got the *better* animal cos it was closer to a donkey!

joycets

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I told someone else...according to my mom, when I was five, I asked for EVERYTHING, and cried when I ran out of presents.

As for what I remember asking for, at one point I wanted a Chia pet, and I got one. And mom wouldn't let me start it right away. I was peeved. =)

- Kilbia
What a fun thread!

I asked for board games... A new Monopoly board every year. Trust me, I played that poor game to death.
Puzzles
roller skates (I never got them which seems kind of dumb because I practically lived at the skating rink and had to pay to rent them.)
Lincoln logs
I asked for a barbie when I was little and got it when I was 12. (My sister was 6 and she got one, too.)
boom-box
stereo (got that when I was 15) It was $100 from Bradleys and had 2 tape decks and a turntable.
tapes and albums Tears for Fears Songs from the Big Chair was the first tape I ever owned, followed by The Culture Club Colour by Numbers

Rebecca
I can remember asking for in order of growing up

A Train Set
An Atari Console when there were no other game consoles.
An Erector Set
A new bike
An underwater camera

Most recently a new computer which finally got filled in July around my birthday.

This year - Stuff for my computer, some tools and money for a new built in computer desk in my office. I am tired of having a desk, a printer stand, two tables and a couple of small book shelves. I want just one really big desk that I can lovingly share with my wife's scrapbooking habit!

RaVeN

I asked Santa for:
Barbie Condo, Barbie sports car, Holly Hobbie, Ideal/Kenner games like Don't Break the Ice, Don't Cook Your Goose, Ants in Your Pants, LiteBrite, Etch-a-Sketch. DAS (modelling clay) was big too, and HUGO, the man of 1001 disguises. I remember asking for and getting Mr. PotatoHead.

What my kid is getting from Santa:
Possibly one of those activity sets for infants, or his own stock account with $100 to start. No word yet on what the Missouri Branch of Santa (in-laws) will bring the tot but I am sure it will be much more wow than what the local branch is offering.
Always wanted an airgun for Christmas and never got one. Got a couple of real ones when I started hunting and a nice bow but never did get that airgun to pop cans in the backyard. Finally went out and bought myself one a couple of weeks ago, just because. Now it's been too windy to go out and play with it on the weekends <G> Just my luck

Wolfshead
Speaking of wants, one of my favorite Christmas presents ever was a pedal car. Have been trying to find something similar for my daughter but all I see are these darn battery operated SUV like things. Does anyone know if they even make the old type pedal cars anymore???

Wolfshead
I was about 9 or 10 and I wanted a 2XL. It was this robot looking thing that played 8 track tapes. You'd stick a tape in and it would ask you sciene type trivia questions, and you'd push one of four buttons to answer it.

My grandparents bought it for me.

Ishtar
Lets remember what we asked Santa for as kids. Our ages will show.....:-)

- Malibu Barbie, Ken & Skipper (Note to self: The toilet is NOT a Barbie swimming pool.)
- EasyBake Oven (maker of the world's worst "cakes")
- Donny & Marie albums (which I now have on my MP3 player!)
- Lite Brite (useless after punching out the patterns and losing all the bulbs)
- Sonny & Cher (pre plastic surgery) dolls
- Charlie's Angels dolls (ok, I really only wanted Farrah, and Barbie ended up with her skateboard.)
- $6 Million Man and Bionic Woman dolls (you could count in seconds how long it took to lose the bionic "components.")
- (If this doesn't make you laugh, you weren't a kid in the '70s)...a "Benji" the dog transistor radio. (And my sister got the one for Benji's girlfriend, Tiffany!)

Note: I was just as happy with the items I "inherited" from older cousins: "Mod hair" Ken (tee hee), GI Joe (the guy Barbie REALLY wanted as compared to wimpy Ken).

:-)
LisainNC, feeling rather elfin
Barbie Condo, Barbie sports car, Holly Hobbie, Ideal/Kenner games like Don't Break the Ice, Don't Cook Your Goose, Ants in Your Pants, LiteBrite, Etch-a-Sketch. DAS (modelling clay) was big too, and HUGO, the man of 1001 disguises. I remember asking for and getting Mr. PotatoHead.

ROFL...The memory of "Hugo" is killing me...you and I must be around the same age. :-)
No. of Recommendations: 3
Always wanted an airgun for Christmas and never got one.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Hope you've seen "A Christmas Story" :)
I'm not worried about my age showing!

One year I asked my mom for the tape Poison by Bell Biv de Voe (or however they spelled their name) instead I got Poison the group. My mom said afterwards "Well I couldn't figure out why you wanted that group!"

Let's just say that that Christmas morning was one of the funnier ones I remembered.
one year I got the Mrs Beasly Doll. I loved her on Family affair. The most memorable present I ever got was a doll that sang I want to teach the world to sing in about 50 languages. It had records that you put in her back. I was about 9. I wish I could find one again.

When I was 10 we got a new TV it was Color! and we got CABLE!!!!! It had just came out. When I was 11 I got a Texas Instrument Computer. It was the lastest thing. It did Basic and I could play games. It was better than the Atari we had. Thats when I learned to program computers.

I was a spoiled child, I admit it. I used to use books as walls and odds and ends as furniture for my barbies. Then one year I got barbies who legs bent and a barbie Townhouse it was 3 stories high and mom paid $30.00 for it! I thought I was the wealthiest kid on the block. I actually had a doll house to play with. I still used books sometimes though. It allowed me to recreate the house everytime.

God I wish I could go back. My kids now think that was stupid. But it taught me to use my imagination and even deductive reasoning. I laugh sometimes at how my kids take what they had for granted. I grew up overseas with one TV Station and a BW TV, There was no video games, no nick at night. You had to be a kid. They laugh at the shows I watched that are now reruns on nick.

Can I please go back????? LOL Merry Christmas, Happy Channakuh, Happy Kwanza to all.

Mrsplumbob
LisainNC

You really made me laugh. I remember playing charlies angels with my friends. They alwasys wanted to be farrah but I wanted to be kate jackson. And the Bionic Woman....I never moved so slow in my life. LOL
Oooh! I remember that song!

Relatedly, my little brother once asked for an album by MC Hammer. My grandmother dutifully went to the local record store and asked the clerk for something by "McHammer". It was amusing. =)

- Kilbia
naw, I wear glasses <G>

Wolfshead
<<Speaking of wants, one of my favorite Christmas presents ever was a pedal car. Have been trying to find something similar for my daughter but all I see are these darn battery operated SUV like things. Does anyone know if they even make the old type pedal cars anymore???>>

Hey Wolfshead,

Try
www.giftcatalog.com/common/catalog/product.jhtml?navAction=jump&navCount=0&prodid=88390&_requestid=11499

Wendy

I was 10 years old and lived and breathed sports. That Christmas, I got a 1st baseman's mitt and my first pair of cleats {OK, so what if they were made out of rubber? A kid can dream!}
- Lite Brite (useless after punching out the patterns and losing all the bulbs)
-=======-
you know, lite brite "bulbs" (pegs) are still available or were a few years ago. I never discovered them until, oh, 1990 or something, and I started collecting the toys at garage sales & using them as night lights. Or art works. etc.
While I always received greats gifts from both Mom and Dad, I never got what I really wanted: lots of Barbie dolls and accessories.

lekia2
Wendy

Thanks

after I posted that message I decided to do another search since it had been awhile since I had checked. Found a site that has a whole lot of them, different shapes and colors and with the metal bodies, not the plastic. Will still take any suggestions tho because never hurts to shop around. Think I have found my daughter's present.

thanks

Wolfshead
Trains, HO race sets, building sets.
I still have the stuff and my kids play with it now (alright..., along with me). The building sets - Kenner bridge, girder and panel sets, city blocks, American bricks, American skyline -if you recognize these, you know the time frame. I have added newer stuff to the trains and race sets.
Hi Wolf,

Does anyone know if they even make the old type pedal cars anymore???

Belive it or not YES they do!

Do you have an AMES dept store in your area? They have them up here in Sunbury, PA. You can also try a a ' True Value HomeCenter/Hardware Store' They carry one made for them. That is the two places I have just seen them in the last couple of weeks.

Dan

PS. If you have BOSCOV's in your area I think they have it in toys.

Merry Christmas......and good luck getting to play with the air gun.
I remember wanting a Cabbage Patch doll, I might have put a little brother or sister on my list one year (never got that). Other than that, my lists were always 1-2 pages long - way more items than Santa would ever bring - I just wanted to make sure he had plenty of ideas. I would go through the toy catalog and write down everything I even remotely was interested in.
they do make the pedal cars- but LOOK OUT they are $200- $300.
trying to remeber where I saw them last (they are made to look like the 'old fashioned' ones)
Will post when I find it.
peace & presents
t

I remember asking for (and getting) the Buffy and Mrs Beasley dolls, and the Baby Tenderlove doll. I still have Mrs. Beasley (probably worth a buck or two if she wasn't so well worn)

I also remember asking for (and NOT getting) a chainsaw.
I asked for this every year from 4 - 14. God knows what I thought I would do with it (in the suburbs of Denver) - so I was always given hand tools instead - but I never got the chainsaw....sniffle
An air gun? Do you know you could lose an eye with that thing????

Catleen
lol

Same could be said of a pencil. It's all in how it is handled. If handled properly, there is no problem.

If you haven't seen "A Christmas Story" it doesn't make sense.

Go out and rent it immediately!!!!
Make it a holiday tradition along with the Grinch.
peace and Chinese food at Christmas;-)
t
======================
and if you are from Cleveland OH or ever spent any time there
make a special point to see the first scene in the movie!
(Its a building)

joycets
I figured it was an inside joke when I saw the second post with the exact same wording <G>

Wolfshead
One year (1980) I asked for new Levi's, a plaid flannel shirt and the Styx 'Grand Illusion' album.

I got instead: Sears Toughskins (in a boy's size, not girls!), a really ugly short sleeved flannel shirt, and a Shaun Cassidy album.

A for effort, though.

I remember wanting a talking ET doll and I got it in my stocking - it was a hard plastic ET and you pulled the string and he croaked, "E.T. Phone HOOOOOOME."

The next big thing I really remember begging for was this electric train set that I saw in the Service Merchandise window. It was in the window and every time we went to that store, I checked to make sure it was still there (because as we all know, when we REALLY want something, there's only ONE). Shortly before Christmas we went back, and the train was no longer in the window. I nearly burst into tears, but mom soothed me by saying that Santa had probably already picked it up for me. I worried over it until Christmas morning, when there it was, under the tree. I played that thing to death.

I always asked for Legos - one year I was really into castles and knights and dragons, and the big Legos castle set came out. It had horses, and knights (and was probably around $50). I got it from "Santa," and my big brother (nine years my senior) and I spent hours that Christmas putting it together, and building the moat -- the drawbridge actually worked with a little string that you looped around a lever and wound it up and down.

I was such a tomboy.... :)

Deb / Lessob
I always asked for a pony. And one year I asked for a pet rock.
Got the rock, but not the pony!
This thread is a crack-up!

Some memorable requests from various ages: Merlin (hand-held electronic toy; played simple logic games), a "ski jacket" (skiing was not part of my life, it was just for style -- egads!), a Duran Duran "video album" -- ALL their music videos from Planet Earth to their (then) latest, "Is There Something I Should Know?" (Which is from the reissue of the debut album, published after Rio -- I'm definitely showing my age here.)

My Grandmother, when she and Grandpa had no luck in the record stores for this last item, pleaded their case to their local video store proprietor and he sold them his copy. LOL! I always thought that was the funniest/sweetest thing. It's in a nice plastic case and everything.

Some of my favorite gifts were ones I didn't ask for. A box of children's novels as soon as I was old enough to read them and a microscope from the same era come to mind. My folks are talented in the gift-giving department.

Make it a holiday tradition along with the Grinch.
peace and Chinese food at Christmas;-)

Don't forget Gremlins!

frissy
I asked for a record. They are flat and go around at 33 rpms a minute. That would be the Beatles. Sgt Pepper album. NO not the CD or tape. There was an album, trust me. I don't remember if I bought it or not. I did start working young.

I don't remember any other noteworthy XMAS times. Sorry. I could ask Sister Wild.. she remembers everything!

wild :)
too old.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I asked for a record. They are flat and go around at 33 rpms a minute. That would be the Beatles. Sgt Pepper album. NO not the CD or tape. There was an album, trust me. I don't remember if I bought it or not. I did start working young.
------------

I have that record!!! I even have a record player. I actually have more records than my husband and I have tapes and CDs combined. (And Jeff is quite a CD fanatic.) I don't know how many I have, but if you stacked them all on the floor they'd be close to 6 feet high. (Not counting 45s) Other than that they are a pain in the butt to move, I love them. And since I am not moving *ever* again, they are no longer going to be a pain in the butt. :)

Rebecca
Not showing my age, just my good taste. :) I am only 26.
I asked for a record. They are flat and go around at 33 rpms a minute. That would be the Beatles. Sgt Pepper album. NO not the CD or tape.
==============
Ha, I can date that album.
When Sgt. Pepper came out my parents got a new refrigerator. I sat in the backyard in its box singing all the songs. It had Words printed on the album cover! This was a new idea, kids.

Also, when my mom was lamenting a few years ago that her refrigerator didn't work I was able to document clearly how old the dang thing was. Of course my LBYM dad went for a few years before buying her a new one. (lets not go there..).

joycets

Star Wars Figures, and I really didn't expect to get them
but my Gramma sent them UPS so the got there Christmas Morning.
I was totally Blown away, it was like she was reading my mind man, from 800 miles away.
I have that record!!! I even have a record player. I actually have more records than my husband and I have tapes and CDs combined. (And Jeff is quite a CD fanatic.) I don't know how many I have, but if you stacked them all on the floor they'd be close to 6 feet high. (Not counting 45s) Other than that they are a pain in the butt to move, I love them. And since I am not moving *ever* again, they are no longer going to be a pain in the butt. :)

Becca...
I didn't start collecting records until I was in college, because my roommate had a record player( I grew up with casettes, then CDs)
But later I found I still had all these LP's and no player. So I connected a Friends player to my computer and burned em on cd.
Parliament lives on forever.....

Ch
OMG, I want it MYSELF!!!

Do you know of any that are 50's cars? My pedal car was THE ONE toy for me when I was between 3 and 6.

foolwizard
knowing she can't afford it, plus HOW would it get across the border... *sigh*
Wiz

How about any of these. They are supposed to be replicas of the old ones but I don't know if they fit your time period

http://www.pedalcarplus.com/pedalpower.html

Got my daughter the Burgandy Estate

Wolfshead
Thanks, Wolfshead for the link... I spent about an hour going over the site. I'm going to have to ask my mother if she has any pictures left of me in mine to confirm, but I think I had a white or champagne coloured Champion as a child.

Well, now I have a link that I can LOOK at... (I bought one of those pins of pedal cars that Hallmark sold last year, and that's probably going to have to do me for now). I really wish I could afford to get a pedal car for my 3 year old, but he does have a Little Tikes 'car'.

foolwizard
off in nostalgia land :)