No. of Recommendations: 1
And you'd go to jail. You don't get to just ignore a Congressional subpoena.

Then I'd go to jail. Although I don't recall anything happening to Eric Holder (found to be in contempt of Congress). Of course, we have 2 sets of rules in this country, one for little people and one for prominent politicians, don't we? On my way to prison I'd quote some lines from Hyman Rickover (some of the most entertaining Congressional testimony you'll ever hear in your life, and the model for how to treat Imperial Congresscritters).

The President is about to learn that the Executive is not the only governmental body that the courts will defer to in decision-making. In defending his various limits on visas for travelers from selected countries, the President argued - successfully - that the courts can't look behind the government's stated claims that the actions served a legitimate Executive function and seek out a hidden motive. The same is going to be true of Congress - that regardless of whether you think that the real reason they're asking for the information is because they have it in for you, the court is not going to ignore the subpoena if it is for a facially valid purpose.

Trump can invoke Executive Privilege and moon Congress while he's doing it.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.