No. of Recommendations: 0
Andrew wrote a real return of 5% would do me just fine

If by real return you return beyond inflation, good luck. As far as I know that has not happened in any 30 year period, unless you are lucky enough to invest heavily in Microsoft in say 1984, Apple in 2000, etc. On the assumption you need some returns over inflation, I would suggest your past investment choices have not included many items like MSFT or APPL.

I tend to agree with the idea that volatility will be greater in the next 20 to 30 years, but I am far from confident in the prediction. What I am confident about is the return on equities world wide and in particular in the USA will be significantly less in the 2010 to 2040 period that we experience in 30 year period between 1930 and 2000.

There are two things that I commonly hear about investments which I know are flat wrong. #1 It is different this time. #2 What happened in the past will happen again. What I do believe is things will be somewhat or slightly different in the future. For example, in the late 1920s there was a rash of the same creative mortgage financing we experience in the 2004 to 2008 period. Both those items ended badly. In both cases there were serious banking system issues. In one case government did not engage in deficit spending for a period of 3 years. In one case there was a depression - 25% unemployment.

Gordon
Atlanta
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.