No. of Recommendations: 37
ANDROCLES,

I have not followed this board for 10 years, but in the time I have been here I have NEVER seen a post where you discussed investment ideas going forward. You state:

The last 4 years have been good ones for those investors who approach life and investing with a positive attitude.

That would be a classic example of cherry-picking your time frame. Make it 5 years, and the picture is totally different. I suggest you take a good look at this chart of the S+P, adjusted for inflation:

http://www.multpl.com/s-p-500-price/

You will note that the S+P peaked in 2000, hit a lower peak in 2007, and has yet to surpass either one. If you exited the market near the top, and re-entered near the bottom, then kudos. But I am afraid I am not going to believe you now without showing me posts to that effect at the time. So, if your thinking is invest and ride it up, I'm sorry, I'm not buying it. If your idea is to pick winning stocks that outperform, I would agree... but again, beyond 2 stocks mentioned in last years METAR contest, I know of no instance where you have posted investment ideas/theses on METAR.

So, if all you can do is tell us what we should have done after the fact, well, I for one say so what! Everyone on this board has a perfect investing record in hindsight. Maybe if you had contributed to the wisdom of this board rather than constantly just saying we are too bearish (but only when the market is on an uptick...your presence is typically missing when their is a downturn). But what do you have for us? This gem, in a recent post of yours:

the clues to successful investing have changed. I'd tell you what they are but it's a waste of time to try and enlighten someone who's already convinced that the America is a failed state with no economic future.

If your only point is tell us how stupid we are after the fact, then please leave. If you have something of value to contribute, you input would be welcome by me, and I think most others. I have yet to see that, though, despite several posts to this effect before from me, so I expect no change.

Doug
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.