No. of Recommendations: 3
AngelMay: "If I don't need to spend the money.... looks like I could roll it into a Roth. Especially if I can roll it into a Roth when RMDs are not involved."

Have you ever looked at the RMD requirements?

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/money-guides/ira-minimum-dis...

Unless your IRA accounts are huge, RMDs are not necessarily that problematic in the initial years.

Year 1 (age 70), 1/27.4 = 3.645% of the IRA value as of 12/31 of prior year.

Year 10 (age 80), 1/18.7 = 5.348%.

Year 20 (age 90), 1/11.4 = 8.772%.

And as someonented, be careful that waiting on first RMD does not force you into two RMDs in one calendar year.

Regards, JAFO
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.