Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I typically make it a point to not read anything that woman writes. She always has an ax to grind, and doesn't care who she offends.

I have read the comments about her book, in relation to the Jersey Girls. It appears to me she is taking shots at the fact that these women have become politically active since losing their spouses after 9/11. The snippets I have read seem callous at best.

Seems to me many people become more political after a tragedy or hardship. I know I threw myself into GLBT causes and AIDS issues after being misdiagnosed as HIV+, 21 years ago.

Would Ms. Coulter and her ilk rather these people stay silent? Because her tactic seems to be saying, if you speak out, you are going to slandered. That's a dangerous move IMHO.

Charlie
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Because her tactic seems to be saying, if you speak out, you are going to slandered.

Honestly, I thought that was standard procedure for this class of commentators ... if you can't attack the words, attack the person.
But, sorry, that's a bit low of me ... more to the topic,

I happened to see her book-circuit interview on one of the morning shows. It was the first time I've seen her interviewed. I took heart, because she seemed at a loss for words, when she didn't have a script she was reciting. Overall, I was not impressed. She can't even claim entertainment value, like Rush did.

She is abrasive, to say the least! Here's my biased take on what she said when asked about the Jersey Girls: These women should be quiet because she/her ilk cannot criticize them. It turns out that any time she tries, she gets called insensitive, callous, etc, because these women are on a pedestal, in the public's mind. ie, as widows, they are unassailable. That status (911 widow) shouldn't be a basis to elevate them, in her opinion. Obviously, that's my interpretation of what she said.

I think she's wrong. She's being called insensitive because she *is* insensitive. I agree with you 100% - most of us get involved in the causes that we know/affect us. She might have had a leg to stand on if 911 hadn't been used in justification of the war. Seems to me the Jersey Girls merely walked through a door the other side opened.

I hope it backfires on her. Her diatribe made her look completely off the wall, IMO.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Would Ms. Coulter and her ilk rather these people stay silent?

Of course.
That is the purpose of the attack dog books she (asnd others) write, to silence those that would dissent or raise questions about the republican party, its funding, its motives, and the effects of its policy.

This is also her and many other paid idealouges bread and butter without which they could not sell a single book or article or do any real work.

It is interesting to note where the funding for many of these folks comes from and who actually buys the books; often it is bulk sales to support groups such as the GOP, Sacife inc., or some other institute/faux think tank which is funded by a large (often oil) corporation.

Sometimes these attack dogs get so disgusted they flip and tell the truth; see David Brocks book on his years as a paid attack dog titled "Blinded by the Right".

The main purpose of these books is to muddy the water, smear others, attack the character of others, and to confuse the public.

They are not meant to explore and understand issues, they are not designed to open conversation, they are not written to show full honest facts and results.

Pure and simply they are designed to attempt to silence those that are viewed as "traitors, enemies, the opposition" no matter what the real truth is.

md

No. of Recommendations: 4
Would Ms. Coulter and her ilk rather these people stay silent?

Of course.

Um. No.

Ms. Coulter was (is) hoping that the 911 widows will rant and rave and become as crazy as she is so that she can continue with her shrill diatribes.

Coulter has no fun screaming into the wind on an empty prairie. No, she wants an audience. Picking on folks who became a 'special group' through no fault of their own and in one of the worst ways imaginable probably looked like a sure thing to Coulter.

I bet her internal dialogue went something like this:
"Everyone will buy my book because no one will believe that I picked on the 911 widows! And everyone will defend the widows and the media will go CRAZY and I'll get tons of free press!"

No. of Recommendations: 3
I think her internal dialog was something along the lines of Karl Turd-Blossom Rove's: Hit 'em in their strength.

Let's make out like they were giving away medals in Vietnam and anyone could have as many as they wanted, just for the asking! Let's dig up some Vietnamese farmers who'll say they were there and saw Kerry wet himself. So what if it takes the shine off of every US soldier who ever won a decoration? We have an election to win, and that's all that matters. Remember, she dipped her cloven hoof into these waters a few years ago, helping to defeat Max Cleland, using the same tactics.

It really bothers me when nobody rushes in to denouce this kind of thing. It legitimizes it and really does cheapen all of them, even the Medal of Honor that senator KerrEy won. But you watch: When some Democrat tries it in 2008, 2010 or beyond, the Right will be all over him with "How DARE You?"

At her cold, tiny heart, Coulter is a coward. She can write a book and she can go on TODAY and be all harpie with Matt Lauer. I'd like to see her on HBO's Real Time, with the Jersey Girls. There's no way she would show up for something like that, though.
No. of Recommendations: 6
At her cold, tiny heart, Coulter is a coward. She can write a book and she can go on TODAY and be all harpie with Matt Lauer. I'd like to see her on HBO's Real Time, with the Jersey Girls. There's no way she would show up for something like that, though.

Well, she shows up for Al Franken debates and gets creamed, apparently.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/al-franken/an-evening-with-ann-coult_b_18529.html

Last May, as I left the stage after debating Ann Coulter in Hartford, my wife Franni took me aside and whispered: "The poor thing."

Last Monday, after my debate with Coulter at the Universal Amphitheatre in L.A., there was no sympathy from Franni. Just a strong sense of disgust. Because Coulter had chosen a strange strategy.

Offend the audience and then act the victim.
No. of Recommendations: 0
got my rec.

well worth the time to read it.

MM