Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Anne,

I have developed and fine tuned this system over the past year, playing around with various techniques for stop loss strategies, diversification, percentages of longs vs shorts, etc. etc..

Before I joined TMF a year ago, I was basically a LTBH investor, but also played around with options where I also had some success. Due to the bull market of the 90's, I have done quite well, but I had a terrible 2000. I have done well since I started using this system in early 2001, but I don't have specific records separate for this system. The problem is I have played around with numerous systems, and have done quite of bit of day trading (which I don't recommend). My guess from looking at some trades I have done, is around 37% return this year.

However, I recommend you use the specific system and look at a specific chart for a particular stock. Determine when you would have bought and at what price (using my system). Then, after any stock rises 10%, start adjusting you stop loss orders upward. I use different stop loss orders for stocks with different beta's (anywhere from 8-12%), but for the sake of a back test, just use 10%. Then run the numbers.

I'd be happy to go through a particular stock exercise with you via email, instead of taking up the boards space.

NukeJohn
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.