Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 12
Many Fools like to pick a certain date for annual portfolio analysis and rebalancing. I usually have available time in May, so I use my Fool balloon day as the annual benchmark. :) Last year's update was here:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25501044

Well, this had to happen eventually, and now it did: I lost money over a year of investing. Microsoft Money reports my investment return for the past year (5/16/2007 to present) as $ -2,834, or -1.69%. The snowball can roll backwards too.

However, that's still a fine performance, as compared to the S&P 500 return of -6.11% over the same time period. Most of the outperformance is thanks to the 30% international allocation, which returned 3.33% for me (that's 9.44% over the US benchmark!) I'd like to say I saw the weak US dollar coming, though I'd also admit that maybe I just got lucky on that. Anyway, the point is that one can indeed achieve double-digit returns above the S&P index, even without chasing individual stocks.

And also however, that's a small blip as compared to my overall savings. My total net worth reached $200K this week, up from $148K last year despite the negative investment return. (The account breakdown like I posted last year isn't so meaningful anymore - I had a 401k rollover that skews all the numbers.) That's all cash and liquid investments - I still rent with no house or car in the net worth picture. Maybe my salary is high enough to go travel some more and move up a bit from the college student lifestyle. :)

FIRE's definitely within reach - at this rate I'll hit $1M by age 40.

- Erik
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.