Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am considering early retirement at age 55. I understand I can use my
401k to buy an annuity and then draw an annual or monthly amount.
I would appreciated any input on annuities, how they work and the tax impact. Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
If you read the FAQ below and search this board for annuity, you will find a lot of information. I just posted a question on this board, and the Insurance board for clarification, and got good answers.

IMHO, the most important fact is that if you buy a fixed annuity, your heirs receive nothing after you die. As for a variable annuity, you gain absolutely nothing except a lower return, since your money is already in a tax-deferred account.

If you are looking for a way to provide a steady, inflation-adjusted, income stream, please check out message #13041.

Zev
Greetings, Setsail, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I am considering early retirement at age 55. I understand I can use my 401k to buy an annuity and then draw an annual or monthly amount.
I would appreciated any input on annuities, how they work and the tax impact. Thanks >>

For the Foolish take on annuities, see post number 11725 on this board at http://boards.fool.com/registered/Message.asp?id=1040013002967001&sort=postdate. That will give you an idea of what you may expect from an annuity product. As a young retiree, it may not be the right choice for you. For most Fools, it isn't a highly regarded product either as an investment or as a continuing source of income. The reasons are outlined in the post I cited previously.

Regards..Pixy
Zev,

Sorry, but you're mistaken about what an annuitant's heirs will receive upon his/her death!

The fixed annuity refers to the investment product (a CD-like return, guaranteed by the insurance company, vs. a variable annuity which offers multiple investment subaccounts). You may be thinking of an "Immediate Annuity" vs. a "Deferred Annuity". The immediate annuity appears to be a poor choice because you might expect that if the annuitant dies soon after the purchase the balance of the funds is lost! Well, that should not happen because mant/most programs provide for beneficiaries to receive the balance of scheduled payments for a minimum amount of time...

While I'm not a big fan of immediate annuities, they're not as bad as you may think! And variable annuities can provide some very competitive returns! They don't all perform poorly and/or get chewed up by fees...

As for the original question - the owner of an IRA can make withdrawals prior to age 59 1/2 without penalty if he/she take substantially equal payments for life expectancy. I suggest you see the IRS web page and/or consult a tax advisor for specific steps to follow!

Regards, PP