Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I will be closing on a new construction condo (to be used as a rental) sometime early next summer (2006). My plan is to sell a current rental property and roll the gain into this new property using a 1031 exchange. My questions are:

1. Can I do this since I already put a contract on the new condo?
2. If I can, can I pull out my original down payment from the original rental property and just roll the gain into the new condo?
3. Would I be able to receive my deposit back from the new condo and simply use the proceeds from my rental property sale as the down payment?

The goal is to get the original deposit & down payment back to purchase another property, while maximizing my tax benefits.

Thank you in advance for your help!

- Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.