Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
ok, i need to know if i've figured this out:

for individual securities, if i bought xyz company shares twice in one year,

50 shares @ $20/sh = 1000, c.b= 20/share
20 shares @ $40/share = $800, c.b=40/share

and sold all of the shares at the same time at $50/share (in the same year as purchased), since you cannot use an average cost basis for stocks, do i list the final transaction as separate transactions on my tax forms?

ie 50 shares sold at $50/share, gain of $1500 and
20 shares sold at $40/share, gain of $200?

or do i just calculate the two different gains and then add them together?

and if the stock split after i purchased all of the shares, will the cost basis be 100 shares @ $10/share and 40 shares @ $20/share?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.