Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Another model I've heard about but never seen is one more like a doctor's office. The client goes into an interview room and meets first with a paraprofessional who takes care of much of the basic work - address changes, W-2s, interest and dividends, itemized deductions, things like that. Then they leave and let the preparer come in to finish the interview and the return. The preparer gets all of the technical questions (is this person really a dependent?) and reviews the work of the paraprofessional. If everything is in order, they finish up the return and send the client back out to the waiting room while a secretary assembles the return and collects the fee.

Has anyone been in that kind of setting? Either as a client or a tax preparer?

This is basically the way my VITA site operates, absent the fee.

The client first deals with the receptionist, who gives them forms to fill out.

The client next deals with a screener who makes sure that the client has all the necessary documents and meets income limitations. They go over the intake forms to make sure everything's been completed.

The preparer then deals with technical issues and creates the return.

Once the return has been through quality review it's printed and the paperwork processed.

All this is terrific, in theory, if there are sufficient volunteers and everything's working right. Last Saturday we were short-handed, and we couldn't get the network up. I wound up preparing only two returns, spending the rest of my 4 hours doing quality review, helping people with the software, and waiting for someone to come take the data off my machine so the return could be printed.

Here's hoping next Saturday will be more productive.

Phil
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.