No. of Recommendations: 4
Another note about Jim: Sandy Casters hosted a monthly investing discussion at a library local to Raleigh, NC. Jim was invited and came out to do a "workshop" on the use and rationale of BMWm. Sandy's meetings were voluntary efforts that she spent considerable time and prep doing. She also gave a workshop on "Better Investing" principles at one of the BMWm conferences (I think it was the one in San Diego). But Jim drove out to Raleigh, from Charlotte, for this library meeting. We took him to dinner where he shared some fascinating stories, including one which described his parents' investing devastation during the Great Depression, if I remember that correctly. A painful lesson but one that Jim remembered and described vividly.
Great guy. Enjoyed helping others... I hope he's doing well.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 24
Hi GreenChiles!

Jim gave his heart, soul and intellect to this board for many a year.....and then tried to stretch his theories beyond where he had been (to different kinds of stocks...aka higher risk)....and failed. That may have been predictable, but the final straw for a man who gave of himself so unselfishly were (what I consider) unfair criticisms and pot shots due to said "failure"

Having hosted the very first BMWM conference in Charleston, as well as having attended most of the others, I can attest to Jim being a perfect gentleman, admitting that he did not know everything and learning as he taught.

The interesting thing is that, had one followed Jim's original BMWM method (only solid balance sheet blue chip companies like JNJ, etc,) and doubled down on them as he originally proposed, during the 2007-2009 Great recession, one would have done quite well....which I did....thanks to Jim.

The BMWM charts, which Mike Klein, an original attendee at the first conference, generously continues to maintain, continue to be an important screen for me which identify stocks for further due diligence ( I can still hear Jim making that point about DUK...that it's stock price was down in buying territory, but that one had to know the "why" of it being down before buying). Denny Schlesinger, who has never attended a conference since he lives in Venezuela, continues to maintain the BMWM website, complete with adjustable buy/sell screens....awesome!

Moral of the story: it takes a lot less energy to tear things down/criticize, than it does to create.....and folks that have given so much of themselves, often respond to hindsight and cherry-picked criticisms with a shrug of the shoulders....and hurt feelings.

Sadly, I haven't heard from Jim in years; I hope he and his bride are well.

Cheers....and fond memories of investors helping investors:

http://bmwmethod.com/conference/gallery.php

http://bmwmethod.com/about.php

Cheers!
Murph
PRO and MFPP Home Fool
(long Jim, Mike and Denny...and the BMWM if used as originally intended)
No. of Recommendations: 2
Ahh yes. That was so long ago, but doesn't seem so. Jim was a class act, unlike others around here, one in particular, that had a big hand in his voluntary departure. I wish I'd have gone to that first conference. Good to see those photos again though. I too still use these charts extensively, and even post them from time to time on other sites I frequent. They are a great tool in the tool box, and a special thanks to Mike for simplifying the process and maintaining those charts. Haven't heard from the captain in awhile either. Hope he is well...

MR
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi MR!

Based upon the captain's (Denny's) posting prowess and content on many a TMF board, I can assure you that he is alive, well, and as intellectually curious and feisty as ever! Try the NPI board for a sample:

https://boards.fool.com/new-paradigm-investing-114933.aspx?m...

https://boards.fool.com/profile/captainccs/activity.aspx

Cheers!
Murph
No. of Recommendations: 5
Ahoy! Now you have! LOL

Yes, I'm well, better than ever. Over the past ten years or so I lost over 50 pounds and I'm down to the weight I had as a young adult. Along with the pounds I also lost most of my medications, no more type 2 diabetes, no more cholesterol, no more heart disease. It is really quite amazing, the fat was killing me.

Investing wise I've gone back to more of an NPI type investing seeking out high growth stocks but making sure to avoid anything that looks speculative. Simpy put, great busineses bounce back.

As for Jim, he was always pushing the envelope and asking us to push the envelope. Unfortunately he fell in love with financial stocks that Nassim Nicholas Taleb calls "bad black swan prone stocks." That hit him hard when the market collapsed in 2008. Chief "Kritik" lashed out with malice and Jim eventually just gave up. I can't blame him for not wanting to take the abuse.

Ten years later Mike's charts are still great! I use them a lot.

I wonder what IcyWolf is doing...

Denny Schlesinger
No. of Recommendations: 0
"I wonder what IcyWolf is doing..."

Last I heard from Stan (aka IcyWolf), which was a few years back, he was part of s business start-up and at officer level....but, sadly, have heard nothing since then.

Cheers!
Murph
I use the investing lessons learn from Jim and the rest of the positive contributors to this board every day.

The concepts of the BMW Method are the cornerstone to my investment decisions, in particular my use of options for income.

I have fond memories of all the BMW Conferences.

John
Host BMW Conference II.
I, too, often see BMW's concepts in use on the boards. Sometimes, those users don't realize they're using them? LOL.

[I see Trenchrat ("It Is What It Is" board founder) TA concepts being used too. :-)]

I personally use the BMW regression to the mean concept often, when I'm evaluating whether to put monies (or a start position) into a stock. It helps me invest with a more clear intent, and 'fore knowledge'.

PARTICULARLY the 'print a graph, and hand draw the boundaries and mean' concept... It's not even necessary to print it. When researching a stock... with this skill, I don't need anything other than a graph on the screen, in order to do a preliminary evaluation of a stock. If I want more detail, or a more authoritative look, I'll open Denny's BMWM site.

I remember well, the vitriolic attacks, whose sole motivation seemed to be destruction. The attackers seemed to me to be one-dimensional, immature thinkers. Even today, when I see someone 'stick their neck out' about 'my stock picking concept/s', I hope to myself that they have a strong self confidence, (and a thick flame suit).

Jim/BMW, please know that many of us thank you for your efforts. And, we still use your concepts.

:-)
ralph
No. of Recommendations: 4
Another note about Jim: Sandy Casters hosted a monthly investing discussion at a library local to Raleigh, NC. Jim was invited and came out to do a "workshop" on the use and rationale of BMWm. Sandy's meetings were voluntary efforts that she spent considerable time and prep doing. She also gave a workshop on "Better Investing" principles at one of the BMWm conferences (I think it was the one in San Diego). But Jim drove out to Raleigh, from Charlotte, for this library meeting. We took him to dinner where he shared some fascinating stories, including one which described his parents' investing devastation during the Great Depression, if I remember that correctly. A painful lesson but one that Jim remembered and described vividly.
Great guy. Enjoyed helping others... I hope he's doing well.