Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Another option would be to talk to your employer and fellow employees and see if you can gain their support in getting your employer to offer a 401k - or perhaps as a compromise, a SIMPLE IRA.

Your employer could offer a SIMPLE IRA at no cost to them - if your peers would be willing to give up 3% of their salary to the plan. The employer must contribute to the plan and the employee is not required but if your peers will take a 3% reduction in salary, the employer could instead pay them in kind via the new plan. IIRC, the minimum required contibution for the employer is 3% for FTEs that have been there a year. Max contribution is around $12000 so much better than doing an IRA on your own - and you could still do a Roth on top of this.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.